AGBC Monthly Meeting - 27 Mar 13 - Guest Speaker Michael Valentine-Urbschat

  • lschulzl
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hi,

      As announced in today's GABA Newsletter, the Munich Chapter of the American German Business Club (AGBC) is hosting our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, 27th March at the Marriott Hotel, Berlinerstr 93 in north Schwabing.

      Again this month I would like to invite you as fellow members of the Munich Chapter of GABA to this meeting.  Our Guest Speaker will be Michael Valentine-Urbschat who will lead us in a discussion on "Tackling the 2030 Carbon Footprint Challenge." This will be focused on analyzing how Munich and Los Angeles can launch the New Energy Era with electric mobility.  Here's the write post currently posted in the Events tool on the AGBC web-site:

      'By 2030 CO2 emissions have to be halved even though global car population will most likely double by then.  Advanced metropolitan areas in Europe and the US, like Munich or Los Angeles, with a green-thinking, well-off population and the technical competence can and have to play a leading role in this new energy era. To protect our climate and reduce our fossil fuel dependency, a dramatic change in our energy consumption behavior has to happen - from the way we create heat and power at home to our individual mobility. Both cities alone have the potential for more than 1 million electric cars by 2030, but only a comprehensive implementation program will make this change happen in time.
      Michael Valentine-Urbschat – With a career spanning 20 years, Michael has been a leading manager in the automobile industry.  While at BMW in the 90’s, he was involved in their initial development efforts with electric vehicles before advancing into the development of conventional drive trains where he was responsible for large engine projects.  Afterwards, as a partner with Roland Berger, he participated in the development of world-wide consulting activities, concentrating on electrical mobility and the development of appropriate conversion concepts for transitioning from conventional drive trains to those featuring electrical mobility.  Since at the beginning 2010, he has been responsible for Siemens’ re-entrance into the automobile supplier business with exclusive focus on electrical drive trains.'

      If you are interested in joining us for any of our meetings, please be sure to register in the Events tool atwww.agbc.deThis appears in the Munich Chapter section on the right side. The first time you use the tool, you will need to Register (i.e. your E-mail address and set up a password), then Login to sign up for the event. Should you have an emerging timing conflict, you can easily remove your sign up as explained in the tool. Signups are very important for our planning purposes.

      We regularly outline our upcoming events and other AGBC news and Member inputs in our monthly newsletter.  If you are interested in receiving this, please send me an E-mail and I can set you up.  You will then receive an E-mail from our newsletter software, Vertical Response.  Just click on that E-mail to confirm.

      As mentioned in recent AGBC E-mails, our Munich Chapter of the AGBC meets monthly (excluding July, August and December) on the last Wednesday at the Marriott Hotel (Berlinerstr 93 in North Schwabing). Registration starts at 1830 with the meeting commencing at 1900. After announcements on club events and the Guest Speaker’s presentation and ensuing Q&A, we move to a buffet dinner around 2030 and lots of networking opportunities. The meeting cost is Eur 25 for AGBC members and Eur 35 for Guests. These funds are used to pay the Marriott for the meeting room, buffet and two drinks per attendee.  At the AGBC, attendees are invited to attend up to 2 meetings as Guests. Afterwards we ask that they join the club. Our annual membership fees are modest at Eur 75.00.

      I hope to see you at our meeting a three weeks with Michael Valentine-Urbschat.

      Best regards,
      Larry

      Larry Schulz
      Member, GABA Munich Chapter
      President, Munich Chapter
      American German Business Club e.V. (AGBC)
      Poschinger Strasse 9
      D-81679 Munich, Germany
      Phone: 0049-89-985-984
      FAX: 0049-89-9810-9488
      Cell-Phone: 0049-172-811-3072
      E-mail: lschulzl@... (note: 3 l's in lschulzl)

    • lschulzl
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2013
        Hi,

        AGBC Monthly Meeting

        The Munich Chapter of the American German Business Club (AGBC) is hosting our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, 24th April the Marriott Hotel, Berlinerstr 93 in north Schwabing.

        Again this month I would like to invite you as fellow members of the Munich Chapter of GABA to this meeting.  Our Guest Speaker will be David Gates, managing director of Gates and Company (a financial support advisory entreprise), Wilmington, Delaware.  David will highlight current trends and market opportunities in the United States, with an emphasis on the use of partnerships, acquisitions, and access to U.S. capital sources to leverage growth opportunities.

        With our increasingly connected world, new insights are steadily evolving on how to boost overseas market penetration. Opportunities for German companies in the United States are constantly changing as new technologies, regulations, and business dynamics evolve. These changes are affecting several markets, including Chemicals/Materials, Software, Cleantech and Healthcare. Options for German companies to expand sales in the United States include far more than just hiring a sales representative. Several firms have been successful when evaluating some combination of the "Make versus Buy versus Partner" business models.

        David Gates will highlight specific opportunities in the Washington D.C. to Boston region. After starting his career with DuPont, he has gained many years of experience in senior management, strategic/tactical planning, operations, and business development in entrepreneurial and corporate environments.David has spearheaded early-stage operations and turned around organizations facing significant competitive and financial challenges.In addition, David is an occasional guest lecturer at the MBA programs of Drexel University, Temple University, the University of Delaware, and The Wharton School; Co-founder of Diamond State Ventures (now Mid-Atlantic Diamond Ventures); Board member for First State Innovations; and Chairman of the Technology Forum of Delaware.

[...]

        Munich International Networking Group (MING)

        To synergistically harness the strengths of 12 of our Munich international networking organizations, we have set up a new communications umbrella called the MING.  The Munich Chapters of the GABA and AGBC are key participants.  We are joining for events of mutual interest and in addressing topics of common or community interest. Also with this new organization, members in each group can now more easily reach-out and network with members in the other groups within our new MING organization, thus expanding contact bases and broadening communications channels.

        Bavarian-American Friendship Day

        The MING is staging its second 2013 joint event on Friday, April 26th when we will join to celebrate Bavarian-American Friendship Day during Munich's Frühlingsfest at the Theresienwiese at the Hippodrom Tent. This year's celebration which is now in its third year - a new tradition in Munich. Please save the date and join us for the fun and entertainment!

        Specially decorated tables will be reserved for beginning 6 p.m. in the Hippodrom tent. Beginning at 8 p.m. American entertainer Linda Jo Rizzo will launch a special show – a great mix of rock, pop and soul. Then at 10 p.m. there will be a fireworks display on the Frühlingsfest grounds. Please feel free to wear your Bavarian outfits and be sure to arrive by 7 p.m to get seats.  There will be no cover charge nor any advance payment for this evening: everyone pays for food and drink on a pay-as-you-go basis.

        Dave Dowdy (a member of the GABA and the AGBC) is setting up the event and will get as many seats as we need. It is very important to send me an E-mail (lschulzl@...) by Wednesday, 24th April if you and any accompanying friends are intending to join us.  We need to inform Dave by the 24th so that he can arrange the seating.

        I hope to see you at one of our upcoming AGBC monthly meetings and/or at the Bavarian American Friendship Day.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013

          Hi,

          AGBC Monthly Meeting

          The Munich Chapter of the American German Business Club (AGBC) is hosting our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, 26th June at the Marriott Hotel, Berlinerstr 93 in north Schwabing.

          Again this month I would like to invite you as fellow members of the Munich Chapter of GABA to this meeting.  Our Guest Speaker will be Sascha Liebhardt, Dean of the European University here in Munich.  Sascha will speak on Entrepreneurialism, a hot topic, one of ever-increasing importance today.

          The extinction of middle management, disintermediation, and market bifurcation - all are developments in the 21st century business world and all are here to stay (regardless of how hard you push back). And if you want to survive in the business world, all are developments that force you to think more entrepreneurially. But what happens if you are not a born entrepreneur? What happens if you are anxious about being 'more of an entrepreneur'? In his presentation, Sascha Liebhardt will analyze the concept of entrepreneurial/intrapreneurial thinking and what approaches can be taken to overcome your hesitation and drive you to be 'more of an entrepreneur.'

          Sascha Liebhardt thinks of himself as a first generation European – born 1970 in Germany and raised in Germany, Italy, the UK and Austria. His interest in the maintenance of world peace led him to study “International Relations” (MA), and his understanding that peace needs a healthy economy led him on to study business administration with a specialization in “Marketing” (MA). Parallel to his studies Mr. Liebhardt started his first “small business” consulting company in 1995. Since finishing his studies, he has held senior management responsibilities in several industries (e.g. Advertising and Media, Automotive, Pharmaceutical). Mr. Liebhardt has been teaching at university level since 2000, and since 2008 he serves as Dean of the European University, Munich Campus. His main areas of interest are Strategic Marketing, Strategic Management, Entrepreneurship and Family Business Management. Mr. Liebhardt also consults family businesses.

          If you are interested in joining us for any of our meetings, please be sure to register in the Events tool at www.agbc.deThis appears in the Munich Chapter section on the right side. The first time you use the tool, you will need to Register (i.e. your E-mail address and set up a password), then Login to sign up for the event. Should you have an emerging timing conflict, you can easily remove your sign up as explained in the tool. Signups are very important for our planning purposes.

          We regularly outline our upcoming events and other AGBC news and Member inputs in our monthly newsletter.  If you are interested in receiving this, please send me an E-mail and I can set you up on the distribution list.  You will then receive an E-mail from our newsletter software, Vertical Response.  Just click on that E-mail to confirm.

          As mentioned in recent AGBC E-mails, our Munich Chapter of the AGBC meets monthly (excluding July, August and December) on the last Wednesday at the Marriott Hotel (Berlinerstr 93 in North Schwabing). Registration starts at 1830 with the meeting commencing at 1900. After announcements on club events and the Guest Speaker’s presentation and ensuing Q&A, we move to a buffet dinner around 2030 and lots of networking opportunities. The meeting cost is Eur 25 for AGBC members and Eur 35 for Guests. These funds are used to pay the Marriott for the meeting room, buffet and two drinks per attendee.  At the AGBC, attendees are invited to attend up to 2 meetings as Guests. Afterwards we ask that they join the club. Our annual membership fees are modest at Eur 75.00.

          I look forward to catch up with you at an upcoming GABA event, an AGBC event or at the MING 7th of July get-together to celebrate US independence Day on Sunday, 7th July at the Grosshesselohe Biergarten in Solln/Pullach.  We start at noon and run throughout the afternoon.  Dave Dowdy is managing this event and has already sent you the details several weeks ago.

          Also if anyone is interested in Munich Network's 7th Munich Cleantech Conference on Tuesday, 22 Oct, please get in touch with me.  Please save the date.  Full details are being organized.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013

            Hi,

            AGBC Monthly Meeting

            The Munich Chapter of the American German Business Club (AGBC) is hosting our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, 25th September at the Marriott Hotel, Berlinerstr 93 in north Schwabing.

            Again this month I would like to invite you as fellow members of the Munich Chapter of GABA to this meeting.  Our Guest Speaker will be Dr. Ulrike Reisach, Professor at the Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences, Bavaria/Germany.  Ulrike will enlighten us on the American-German differences in the treatment and communication of knowledge.

            The types of knowledge that are considered to be relevant for an organization can be quite diverse in different business cultures – even if they seem as close as the German and American one. They depend on convictions about what makes a good employee, expert, manager and leader. Additionally, they depend on motivational and interactional processes between the persons involved and their respective professional and cultural backgrounds, acquired through socialization and long-term practice. Knowledge Management and Transfer therefore have to be designed in a culturally sensitive way to make sure that knowledge which is crucial for a company is effectively preserved. Based on her management experience, Ulrike will show how you can make sure that expert knowledge is successfully identified and passed on.

            Ulrike is an expert on communication and management strategies for leading international companies. For 20 years, she has been responsible for corporate communications and international strategy development in banking and industry, last as Director of Siemens Corporate Communication and Government Affairs. She has published 10 books on international management and communication as well as corporate culture and HR management.

            If you are interested in joining us for any of our AGBC meetings, please be sure to register in the Events tool at www.agbc.deThis appears in the Munich Chapter section on the right side. The first time you use the tool, you will need to Register (i.e. your E-mail address and set up a password), then Login to sign up for the event. Should you have an emerging timing conflict, you can easily remove your sign up as explained in the tool. Signups are very important for our planning purposes.

[...]

            I look forward to catching up with you at an upcoming GABA event or an AGBC event.

            Also if anyone is interested in Munich Network's 7th Munich Cleantech Conference on Tuesday, 22 Oct, please get in touch with me at lschulzl@....  Please save the date.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2013

              Hi,

              AGBC October Monthly Meeting - 30th October - Marriott Hotel

              The Munich Chapter of the American German Business Club (AGBC) is hosting our next monthly meeting on Wednesday, 30th October at the Marriott Hotel, Berlinerstr 93 in north Schwabing. Again this month I would like to invite you as fellow members of the Munich Chapter of GABA to this meeting.  Our Guest Speaker will be Diana IljineGeschäftsführerin/Director of FILMFEST MÜNCHEN.  Diana will address:  Global Media World:  Challenges and Opportunities – FILMFEST MÜNCHEN.

              Leading a cultural institution in an economically driven, global environment includes different challenges: competitiveness (with regard to premieres, stars…), profitability, a certain cultural claim and more. Diana Iljine, Geschäftsführerin/Director of FILMFEST MÜNCHEN, will speak about these challenges with respect to the new global media world. But she is not only going to present the challenges, she is also going to talk about the opportunities that a film festival has in today’s (digital) world. Moreover, she will present some of her goals and a vision for the FILMFEST MÜNCHEN.

              Starting in August 2011, Diana Iljine has served as Director of the FILMFEST MÜNCHEN, Munich's international film festival and also as Director of the Munich International Festival of Film schools.  In addition, she is a member of the board of the Kuratorium junger deutscher Film.  She was born in Frankfurt, majored in communications at Munich University, and then went on to work in film and TV for 25 years, mainly in sales and acquisitions.  She co-wrote a book on producing, "Der Produzent," which became a standard reference work.  In 2008 she became a freelance consultant for international licensing, co-productions and video on demand.  She completed her MBA in 2011 at Berlin's Steinbeis Business Academy.

              Our following monthly meeting will be on Wednesday, 27th November at the Marriott.  Please save the date.  Prof Dr. Wolfgang Heckl, Generaldirektor of the Deutsches Museum, will portray his "Vision for the Deutsches Museum 2025."  Further details are available in the Events Section of the home page at www.agbc.de.

              AGBC AGBC Christmas Dinner – 4th December – Café Luitpold

              Over the years, our AGBC Christmas dinner events have always been special ones, and this year’s will continue the trend. For the second year running, we will hold this year’s AGBC Christmas Dinner at the historic Café Luitpold, Brienner Str. 11, 80333 Munich (web:  www.cafe-luitpold.de) starting at 1900/7 PM and running until 2300 hours. Dinner will include an aperitif or alcohol-free drink and Minipasteten, followed by a delicious Christmas dinner which features Hokkaido Kurbis soup and Hirschrücken (venison) or Fisch St. Pierre. This will then be topped off by the Café Luitpold Chapeau Surprise desert. Participants will pay Eur 40.00 in advance for this evening, which is subsidized by the Munich Chapter of the AGBC. The price covers the aperitif, dinner and mineral water. As in prior years, participants will be asked to pay for their other drinks and related gratuities separately.

              The following are the conditions for registration:
              1.   Registration and prepayment are required by not later than Saturday, 30th November. This is essential for planning purposes at Café Luitpold.
              2.   The Special Price of Eur 40.00 per person must be pre-paid to hold your reservation - the reservation is only valid once your payment is received. Thus: “first paid, first reserved.”  Please make your payments as soon as possible.
              3.   Payment should be made to the AGBC Bank Account at the Münchner Bank, Account Nr: 1089595, BLZ: 701 900 00. Please state your last name, number of tickets being purchased, meat or fish, and "Christmas Dinner.” (e.g.: J. Doe and M. Smith, 2xChristmas Dinner (1 Member, 1 Guest), EURO 80.00 payment).

              Conditions of Cancellation: Your registration is considered binding once we have received payment. Due to our commitments to Café Luitpold, we are unable to return pre-payments for “no-shows.”

              If you are interested in joining us for any of our AGBC monthly meetings or the Christmas Dinner, please be sure to register in the Events tool at www.agbc.deThis appears in the Munich Chapter section on the right side. The first time you use the tool, you will need to Register (i.e. your E-mail address and set up a password), then Login to sign up for the event. Should you have an emerging timing conflict, you can easily remove your sign up as explained in the tool. Signups are very important for our planning purposes.