1012[GABA-MUNICH] AGBC Events - 26th March - IBM Watson Initiative

  • lschulzl
    Mar 10 4:47 AM
      Hi,

      We have an upcoming, highly informative technology event at the American-German Business Club e.V. (AGBC) on 26th March.  As usual the GABA Munich Chapter members are invited.  Thanks to the suggestion of Alexandra Winterstein (member of both the GABA Munich and AGBC), we will feature a presentation by Sebastian Welter of IBM Deutschland on IBM's Watson Initiative.  This will be the 2nd GABA meeting in March, following the 18th March get together with Reinhard Häckl.

      The IBM Watson initiative represents a first step into cognitive systems, a new era of computing. A combination of capabilities makes Watson unique, including natural language processing, hypothesis generation and evaluation, and dynamic learning. This enables it to communicate with humans directly – to answer questions asked by humans in our own language.

      IBM started to demonstrate this in the Jeopardy TV quiz show in the U.S. The next step was the use of cognitive computing in medical assistance, giving guidance in cancer treatments. Now the technology is moving on to support us in many more fields - answering our questions, guiding us through vast amounts of information and interacting with us in a natural way.

      Sebastian Welter is an IBM Client Technical Architect and the Technical Software Representative on IBM’s Watson team for Germany and DACH. Active in this role since 2011, his responsibilities include Content Analytics and Content Management systems - everything that covers unstructured data, from managing to analyzing and storing. His focus is on high-volume archives and Big-Data systems in unstructured data environments, as well as analysis of natural-language texts.

      After earning his BA in Business Informatics, he worked in Switzerland as a database and information networks developer and architect before joining IBM in 2008, first in technical sales and later as an architect.

      As usual the March monthly meeting will commence at 7 PM sharp on Wednesday, 26th March, 2014 at the  Marriott Hotel, Berliner Strasse 93 in Munich (north Schwabing). Please register in the Events Tool at www.agbc.de (right side of homepage, Munich Chapter section) for the meeting by not later than Monday, March 24th. On the meeting night, sign-in starts at 6.30pm.

      After club announcements, the Guest Speaker presents for about 30 minutes with 15 minutes of following Q&A.  Then we proceed to our buffet dinner and networking. Some attendees stay until 2300, others depart somewhat earlier.  The meeting cost is Eur 25 for AGBC members and Eur 35 for Guests. These funds are used to pay the Marriott for the meeting room, buffet and one drink per attendee.

      Please save the date and then join us for a highly informative evening.

      Best regards,
      Larry

      Larry Schulz
      Member, GABA Munich Chapter
      President, Munich Chapter
      American German Business Club e.V. (AGBC)
      Poschinger Strasse 9
      D-81679 Munich, Germany
      Phone: 0049-89-985-984
      FAX: 0049-89-9810-9488