M32 TRV turret stowage question: M1A1 Bazooka Rocket Launcher

  • ericadeane
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2014

      I'm modeling the M32B1 in 1/35 from Tasca/Asuka.

      I'm looking for advice on where to mount the M1A1 "Bazooka" rocket launcher in my M32 TRV turret. According to my TM 9-738 (from Easy1 Productions) it was mounted "Vertical location rear of turret". Does anyone have a clue as to what this means?

      Admittedly, even the TM's narrative says some items were not updated as the series progressed and one can assume that many prescribed vehicle equipment stowage points may have varied with factory variations. But, for the life of me, I can't figure where it was stowed. In 1/35th scale, the 54" long M1A1 would have been 39mm long. With my Tasca/Asuka M32B1 kit's turret, I can't see how a 39mm long tube could fit anywhere.

      I thought of the later M9 bazooka that could be broken down into two tube sections but the TM clearly says the M1A1 was allocated to the M32s.

      I've scoured the many pics of survivors and the TM fully. I'm lost. Any ideas?

      Roy Chow

    • Terry Warner
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2014
        You have the sort of question that drove me out of model building.

        There may be a situation where the TM was written before the vehicle was actually completed and the photos are virtually the first time anyone hung all the accessories on it. Operational experience would later teach crews what went where and how to wedge in what was actually needed‎ vs what the staff checklist dictated.

        Terry

        Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2014
          "You have the sort of question that drove me out of model building. "  LOL.  Sorry Terry!  To me, I love researching questions like this. I love looking at Tech Manuals, photos of survivors or restored vehicles and trying to make sense of it all.

          I agree with you about the possibility of the TM not matching reality.  Even in the version I have, there is language in the intro saying that portions of the text had not been updated to include the latest upgrades/revisions of the equipment, especially the issuance of the M32 on other non-radial engined hulls.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2014
            Hi Roy,

            That's a great question.
            I like when trying to build a model brings up little mysteries like where was the bazooka stored?

            Have a look at Chris Hughes walk around of the MVTF M32B3...

            If we assume that "Vertical location rear of turret" is accurate, perhaps it was shoehorned in around the rear seat on the right?

            Please let us know if you are able to solve the riddle.

            Joe

            Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2014 1:48 PM

            "You have the sort of question that drove me out of model building. "  LOL.  Sorry Terry!  To me, I love researching questions like this. I love looking at Tech Manuals, photos of survivors or restored vehicles and trying to make sense of it all.

            I agree with you about the possibility of the TM not matching reality.  Even in the version I have, there is language in the intro saying that portions of the text had not been updated to include the latest upgrades/revisions of the equipment, especially the issuance of the M32 on other non-radial engined hulls.
          • Chris "toadman" Hughes
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2014
              Well, I just took more pics of it today to see if I could answer Roy's question. I'll post later tonight after I'm done doing responsible "adult" stuff.

              Chris "toadman" Hughes

              Sent from my iPhone, spel chek knot ncluedid.

              Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2014 1:48 PM

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2014
                Thanks Chris: A poster (Tom Cromwell) on Missing Lynx suggested the spot between the left rear seat and the turret wall mounted fire extinguisher.  There's a bracket and an unattended strap attached to a footman's loop.  It seems that it's supposed to hold up something vertically.  It would work (space wise, for the 54" M1A1 bazooka tube) save for the spotlight pistol grip mounted above that space.  He pointed me to the pics in the Ampersand book "Heavy Wrecker" p 57.  It seems to make sense.  In your photos, this one is the approximate position.
                http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m32b3_052.jpg

                See the metal bracket, proud of the turret wall just to the left of the fire extinguisher mount?

                The more I look into it, I think the M1A1 was omitted.  The pics in "Heavy Wrecker" show two M32 turrets fully stocked -- but no bazooka, nor any placards.  We know changes exist in the stowage lay out from the original TM 9-738.  The .45cal MG was moved.  The stowage of the two 5 gallon water cans is clearly on the LH sponson (whereas the TM says it should be on the RH sponson).  I may just have to omit the bazooka after all....
              • Chris "toadman" Hughes

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2014
                    Hi Chris: I've considered that position with the "rockets" stenciling.  When I compare it to the wartime photos in the Ampersand book, those brackets hold the signal flag bag.  I'm wondering if the "rockets" wording is a mistake or possibly a reference to something else.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2014
                    >The more I look into it, I think the M1A1 was omitted.

                    Don't give up the ship, Roy. I'm thinking the designers wanted them equipped with bazookas. The M74, the M32 series replacement, was designed by Bowen Mclaughlin in the early 1950s.  The Tech Manual has it that "A bracket bolted to the interior of the turret, supports one end of the 3.5 inch rocket launcher (the other end...is held in place by a bracket bolted to the hull). One of the illustrations (attached) shows the "other end" as a solid  disc, "rocket launcher bracket." It would have helped if the M74 illustration model had been equipped with an actual rocket launcher. I suspect the M32 series illustration models weren't equipped with one either...

                    Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2, 2014

                      They were probably AT rockets in fiber tubes.

                      I’ve a number of vehicles with some sort of AT weapon, up to a LAW.  Before they had bazookas it was an M1903 rifle and a grenade launcher.

                      KL