Re: M4A1 DD (late type) in British Service

  • latok@msn.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2001
      I posted this a short while ago on the AFV News d/g but have finally
      figured how to post G104:

      "All the photos I've seen of both 44 RTR and Staffordshire Yeomanry
      DDs at the time of the Rhine crossing show them not be M4A1s. Hulls
      don't appear to be cast on either regiment's vehicles, and the
      Staffordshire Yeomanry vehicles were M4A4s (Sherman V DDs)without
      doubt. Can't identify the exact model of the 44 RTR vehicles as I've
      only seen head-on shots. Having said that I'm willing to be proved
      wrong as you never can be sure with Shermans!

      Perhaps photos of Sherman M4A1 DDs at the time of the Rhine crossing
      are in fact American vehicles? "

      Since posting this I've looked at all the photos I've built up on
      British DDs and, taking "late type" M4A1 DDs to be those with a
      turret loaders hatch, I couldn't find any - all the shots of British
      M4A1s I can find are from D-Day or shortly after and seem to show
      the earlier turret with no loaders hatch.

      So I now wonder if the M4A1 DDs with loaders hatch were only
      delivered to US tank battalions?

      Pete Andrews