Re: [G104] Tanks on Google earth

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
    Hi Logan,

    From the photo you found, it looks like someone may have stripped and repainted the M4A3 in Antwerp.
    I think some government people are going around insisting that such displays of artillery or armor be maintained with a decent coat of paint.
    A friend looked at that a few years back, and, in the attached, you can see it was tan, and had a very thick build up of paint.
    The serial number of Ford M4A3s is stamped into the four corners of the upper hull.
    The dark spray paint indicates where "someone" unsuccessfully tried to find the serial number thru all the paint layers.

    The tank has an unusual combination of hull lifting rings.
    It has the earlier "padded" type on the rear & the most common type on the front.
    I think this would be an indication that it was made around January 1943 as Ford transitioned to the standard hull lifting rings seen on most Shermans.
    If I'm right about that, the late sharp nosed differential housing seen on this tank would not be the original, as those didn't enter production until about 7 months after this tank was made.

    Russ, hope all's good in Rocky Mountain country.
    We once talked about the pulley you found inside of yours.
    I think the remanufacturer installed that along with a hinged comb device as can be seen (a little bent) in front of the driver's hood on the Antwerp.
    Think that particular type of "comb" is a "signature" piece of Bowen McLaughlin.
    They remanufactured 1493 M4A3(75) and M4A3E2(75)s in the early 1950s.
    "141" was the only number uncovered on the Antwerp, which I believe is the Bowen McLaughlin serial number, indicating that it was the 141st M4A3 they remanufactured.

    Anyway, since the Antwerp appears to have been stripped & repainted, it might be possible to read the serial number on it now...

    Speaking of stripped & repainted, Jonathan Baker gave some TLC to M4A3(76)HVSS SN 61180 on display in a park in Monessen, Pa.
    He finished it this summer as part of his Eagle Scout candidate project.
    Since we knew the serial number of that one, it was possible for Jonathan to paint the correct USA Number back on.

    Joe

    Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 1:02 PM
    Subject: Re: [G104] Tanks on Google earth

    Yeah, here's a decent picture of it.  Appears to be in better shape than a lot of monument tanks.

    http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/46312aec-2dc3-4c49-9624-85dc6e29620d.JPG

    Cheers,

    Logan

    On 10/1/2013 10:44 AM, Joe DeMarco wrote:

    >Spotting a single tank from the air can be a challenge, and some are not where you expect them.

    A few years ago, I talked to a fellow who keeps track of "roadside" artillery pieces.
    He told me there was a Sherman up around his way in Antwerp NY.
    That was "new" info to me.

    The attached was found on Google Earth.
    Turns out it's a Ford built M4A3 (serial number still unknown).
    The thing that is casting a long shadow is a Civil War Monument.

    Joe

    Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 10:42 AM
    Subject: [G104] Tanks on Google earth

    I injoy looking for places and things on Google Earth, I guess my time in the service looking at photographs has something to do with it.
    Recently stories about tank grave yards and a site for Geo Cachers has got me looking for tanks on display. Spotting a single tank from the air can be a challenge, and some are not where you expect them.
    Does anyone keep a roster of armor on display that can be searched to look for such things?
    View attachments on the web