Interesting Sherman related photo from Freeman Field Recovery Team on Facebook

  • LouL
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19 11:25 AM
      This photo of what appears to be Sherman turrets and a couple of stripped hulls appeared today on the Freeman Field Recovery Teams Facebook page.No explanation was given.Perhaps scrapping?

      http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/kool66/Sherman1015556_548718595190682_685490463_o.jpg
    • spoelstra.geo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19 12:20 PM
        Op Wo, 19 juni, 2013 8:25 pm schreef LouL:
        > This photo of what appears to be Sherman turrets and a couple of stripped
        > hulls appeared today on the Freeman Field Recovery Teams Facebook page.No
        > explanation was given.Perhaps scrapping?
        >
        > http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac172/kool66/Sherman1015556_5487185951
        > 90682_685490463_o.jpg

        LouL,

        These look like Sherman tanks going through a rebuild programme. After
        training in the US, the early production Sherman tanks were stripped down
        (as in the picture), rebuilt, and to a certain extent upgraded with
        improved components.

        The US troops sent overseas were equipped with new-built Shermans tanks.
        The rebuit tanks later came back into the theatres of operation as
        replacement tanks to make up for the losses. But the majority of the
        rebuilt tanks seem to have been allocated to US allies through the MDAP
        programme after WW2.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19 1:23 PM
          I suspect Freeman Field Recovery Teams "borrowed" that photo from a webpage that P-O & I did about Fisher M4A3(75)W Shermans ...

          I came across the pix at the US Archives & they show turrets left over from the retriever conversion program at Baldwin Locomotive Works.
          They are an example of WW II recycling.
          Fisher took some of those turrets & reused them on some late production M4A3(75)Ws.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23 7:49 AM
            A few years back, we had talked about Sabine Sally the M4A3 at Norwich U in Vermont.

            "Bob Rubino and his team (at Mil-Spec) returned this factory new Sherman to Sabine Field on April 30, 2013."

            Joe
          • GB
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26 4:04 PM
              Looks like those guys do nice work! I definitely need to win a lottery :-)