Re: [G104] M4A3E4 snr. 56797 restauration

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15 1:23 PM
      Was this on both sides? Best guess would be a reinforcement patch, perhaps that area had been damaged and buckled.
      Chris....

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16 9:00 AM
        Hi Claus,

        The bogie reinforcement must have been put on there for a reason, but it is not "normal."

        The wood spacers are. These are usually rotted out on most surviving Shermans.

        I've attached a couple drawings that might be helpful to your restoration.

        Hope all's good with you.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16 11:16 AM
          Interesting that the long horizontal tanks are a half-round section. My first thought was, why not square to use all the available space, but then realized there is no low point on a flat bottom. Smart guys in 1942!

          Terry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16 12:48 PM
            That was probably to match the curved internal contours of the M4A1 hull.

            KL