M4A3E4 snr. 56797 restauration

  • wwwpanserdk2
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15 1:16 PM

      During restauration of Sherman M4A3E4 snr. 56797 we noticed the reinforcements on the inside of the hull around the area where the middle bogie is installed. Would anyone happen to know the reasoning behind this? Was the hull not strong enough at this point?

      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/168422/sn/1971801242/name/56797+forstaerkning+hoejre.jpg
      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/168422/sn/1092751051/name/56797+forstaerkning+venstre.jpg

      Also, we came across these wooded spacers located around the gastanks. I suppose they were there to prevent the tank from rubbing against the hull, avoiding sparks and the risk of wearing a hole in the tank?

      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/168422/sn/391287816/name/Driftank+beskyttelse+v.+side.jpg
      http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/168422/sn/339474026/name/Drifttank+besk.+h.+side.jpg

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15 1:23 PM
        Was this on both sides? Best guess would be a reinforcement patch, perhaps that area had been damaged and buckled.
        Chris....

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16 9:00 AM
          Hi Claus,

          The bogie reinforcement must have been put on there for a reason, but it is not "normal."

          The wood spacers are. These are usually rotted out on most surviving Shermans.

          I've attached a couple drawings that might be helpful to your restoration.

          Hope all's good with you.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16 11:16 AM
            Interesting that the long horizontal tanks are a half-round section. My first thought was, why not square to use all the available space, but then realized there is no low point on a flat bottom. Smart guys in 1942!

            Terry

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16 12:48 PM
              That was probably to match the curved internal contours of the M4A1 hull.

              KL