Re: [G104] Historic Sherman from TF Baum to be Preserved

    Message 1 of 8 , May 12 2:12 PM
      At 16:03 11-5-2013 -0400, Joe DeMarco wrote:
      >I corresponded with a gent about Target 25 a few years back.
      >He couldn't find the tank's serial number or anything conclusive that would
      >indicate when it was built.
      >Have you been able to find that since?
      >
      >It wouldn't be my intention to burst anyone's bubble, but I suspect the
      >assault guns lost by TF Baum would have been M4(105)s with VVSS.

      Hello Joe,

      Thanks for your extensive insight. I did not see this Sherman tank in person
      nor did I make the photos, I just forwarded the message from the AFV News forum.

      Years ago I searched for every picture I could find of Sherman 105-mm
      howitzer tanks used on the Hammelburg raid. IIRC, none of them showed the
      M4A3(105) HVSS. A picture search is not research, but I am also not
      convinced yet this Sherman is a genuine TF Baum one.

      We'll keep looking, before we know it we will find another lost identity
      like Cobra King's!

      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
      PLEASE NOTE: this e-mail address will be phased out - please use

      <mcspool@...>

      from now on
      *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 8 , May 13 9:55 PM
        Hanno,

        Do you have pictures of TF Baum? My grandfather was a Staff Sargent on that raid. Also that leads to the story of him being captured. Just recently put some various info together and realized he was one of the chosen few for that fun run.... Thanks for any other leads for TF Baum

        Message 3 of 8 , May 20 7:12 AM
          At 04:55 14-5-2013 -0000, Dan wrote:
          >Hanno,
          >
          >Do you have pictures of TF Baum? My grandfather was a Staff Sargent on that
          raid. Also that leads to the story of him being captured. Just recently put
          some various info together and realized he was one of the chosen few for
          that fun run.... Thanks for any other leads for TF Baum

          Hello Dan,

          What I did was looking up pictures on the internet and in printed
          publications. Sorry, I did not document my search.

          Do you have After The Battle Magazine issue No. 91 on the Hammelburg Raid?

          *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20 8:49 AM
            Dan, what is your Grandfather's name?

            I corresponded with someone about Target 25 a few years back.
            We may have had some language barrier issues, but IIRC, he said the rear tow
            lugs were shot off and no dataplate, etc.

            I've since seen the serial number stamped outside the dataplate frame on a
            few Chrysler built Shermans, so that might be a possibilty for finding it on
            Target 25.
            I would think that if the serial number is higher than the 58xxx range,
            chances would be pretty slim that it is a relic of TF Baum.