Re: [G104] Re: What hand-held Flare Gun was installed in a M4A1 Sherman Tank in WWII?

  • tankmodeler@...
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
      If the internal fittings are still original, it _might_ be for a Very Pistol. The Grizzlies were not stowed as American vehicles, but used British practice and items. I think that a Very pistol was part of the usual British tank stowage, so that might be what you are seeing. I know that the external stowage of the Grizzlies did not match the normal American M4A1 stowage arrangement, soI would not be surprised that the internal stwage was different.
      Paul

      Paul Roberts
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
        >The tank is a Canadian Grizzly M4A1 Sherman that is being restored as a WWII US Sherman.

        What you might do is leave the interior fittings as is; like if it is painted silver, not white, & has a British No. 19 Radio.

        For more of a US look, you could redo the external pioneer tools in the US format.
        One can usually tell a Grizzly in a movie, because many were retrofitted with Canadian Dry Pin Tracks & sprockets which the US didn't use.
        Many have a stowage box on the turret.
        Many were also retrofitted with the commander's vision cupola, which is sort of anachronistic on a US WWII M4A1(75).

        If your friend would like to know the tank's serial number, it is stamped in just below the "G in a shield" logo on the front.

        like a holder for a pistol case. We assume
        > that it is for a flare
        pistol. The parts manual states that a M4 Flare
        > Launcher was kept in
        the command tank.

        G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco"  wrote:

        >> Hi
        Rick,

        >> There's no mention of a flare gun in the On
        Vehicle Materials lists in
        >> the various US Tech Manuals.

        A 1944 TM lists 12 flares in a box over the battery box.
        >> Is your
        friend's a British or Canadian M4A1? They may have added a flare

        gun to their OVM.
        >> Or perhaps you are you thinking of the 2 inch
        Smoke Mortar?
        >> The Brits requested that, & it was factory &
        depot installed in the
        >> turret starting around Fall
        1943.
        >> Most crews found it to be in the way, so that it was ordered
        removed in
        >> 1945.

        Rick