Re: [G104] What hand-held Flare Gun was installed in a M4A1 Sherman Tank in WWII?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2013
      Hi Rick,

      There's no mention of a flare gun in the On Vehicle Materials lists in the various US Tech Manuals.
      A 1944 TM lists 12 flares in a box over the battery box.
      Is your friend's a British or Canadian M4A1? They may have added a flare gun to their OVM.
      Or perhaps you are you thinking of the 2 inch Smoke Mortar?
      The Brits requested that, & it was factory & depot installed in the turret starting around Fall 1943.
      Most crews found it to be in the way, so that it was ordered removed in 1945.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
        Hello Joe,

        The tank is a Canadian Grizzly M4A1 Sherman that is being restored as a WWII US Sherman. There is a metal bracket inside the rear of the turret near the radio set that looks like a holder for a pistol case. We assume that it is for a flare pistol. The parts manual states that a M4 Flare Launcher was kept in the command tank.

        Best regards, Rick

      • tankmodeler@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2013
          If the internal fittings are still original, it _might_ be for a Very Pistol. The Grizzlies were not stowed as American vehicles, but used British practice and items. I think that a Very pistol was part of the usual British tank stowage, so that might be what you are seeing. I know that the external stowage of the Grizzlies did not match the normal American M4A1 stowage arrangement, soI would not be surprised that the internal stwage was different.
          Paul

          Paul Roberts

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
            >The tank is a Canadian Grizzly M4A1 Sherman that is being restored as a WWII US Sherman.

            What you might do is leave the interior fittings as is; like if it is painted silver, not white, & has a British No. 19 Radio.

            For more of a US look, you could redo the external pioneer tools in the US format.
            One can usually tell a Grizzly in a movie, because many were retrofitted with Canadian Dry Pin Tracks & sprockets which the US didn't use.
            Many have a stowage box on the turret.
            Many were also retrofitted with the commander's vision cupola, which is sort of anachronistic on a US WWII M4A1(75).

            If your friend would like to know the tank's serial number, it is stamped in just below the "G in a shield" logo on the front.

            like a holder for a pistol case. We assume
            > that it is for a flare
            pistol. The parts manual states that a M4 Flare
            > Launcher was kept in
            the command tank.

            > Best regards, Rick
            >
            > --- In
            G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco"  wrote:

            >> Hi
            Rick,

            >> There's no mention of a flare gun in the On
            Vehicle Materials lists in
            >> the various US Tech Manuals.

            A 1944 TM lists 12 flares in a box over the battery box.
            >> Is your
            friend's a British or Canadian M4A1? They may have added a flare

            gun to their OVM.
            >> Or perhaps you are you thinking of the 2 inch
            Smoke Mortar?
            >> The Brits requested that, & it was factory &
            depot installed in the
            >> turret starting around Fall
            1943.
            >> Most crews found it to be in the way, so that it was ordered
            removed in
            >> 1945.

            Rick