M4 with Fisher drivers hoods ?

  • Adrian Harris
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
      I've just come across some photos here:

      http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/discussione.aspx?idd=10236239

      which seems to show an M4 Sherman but with welded Fisher M4A2 style driver's hoods ?

      Does anyone know the provenance of this Sherman ?

      Adrian.
    • Michael Canaday
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
        http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1473/dsc0185ul.jpg

        Based on this photo, it appears that this was a Fisher M4A2 that was converted to take an M4 engine.

        Mike Canaday

        On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM, Adrian Harris <adrianharris21@...> wrote:

        I've just come across some photos here:

        which seems to show an M4 Sherman but with welded Fisher M4A2 style driver's hoods ?

        Does anyone know the provenance of this Sherman ?

        Adrian.

      • Pierre-Olivier
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013
          that's right, this is an M4A2 Serial Number 8514. It has been converted from M4A2 to M4 for or by the Italian Army. They cut into the engine bay backplate and put M4 doors, and they even replaced the M4A2 hull backplate with an M4 one. I've also seen an M10 Tank Destroyer converted to run with a radial, during a trip in Italy in 2012.

          P-O
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
            >Does anyone know the provenance of this Sherman ?

            By the serial number, it was made by Fisher Body in Dec, 1942.
            It was probably sent to the Commonwealth as Lend Lease & used in Italy.
            Note the British type of commander's cupola & other fittings on the turret.
            The Italians most likely recovered it from a tank dump after the gun was demilled, & they remilled it with a little sleeve on the barrel.
            In 1945, the US sent the French a good portion of the supply of spare Continental Radial engines, since the engines of their Lend Lease M4A2s & M4A4s were worn out by then.
            (There were no spare M4A2 or M4A4 engines available.)
            Many surviving examples can be seen to have been re-engined in the postwar years, in both France & Italy.
            The engine kits came with new air cleaners, exhaust pipes & instrument panels, which made the engine replacement job a little easier.

            So far, the tank in Chieti is the only known surviving Fisher built welded hood M4A2 that it has the earlier glacis pattern more commonly seen on those with direct vision.

            Some more info about Fisher M4A2s can be found here...

            http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a2fisher/m4a2fisher_variants.html

            We had to use a period photo to show a direct vision Fisher M4A2 with the later glacis pattern, so if anyone happens upon a surviving example, please let us know.

            P-O, the M10 that was at APG was donated by Italy, & was very neatly re-engined as well.

            Number 8514. It has been converted from M4A2 to M4 for or by the Italian Army. They cut into the engine bay backplate and put M4 doors, and they even replaced the M4A2 hull backplate with an M4 one. I've also seen an M10 Tank Destroyer converted to run with a radial, during a trip in Italy in 2012.

            P-O
          • Tom Gannon
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2013
              Re: [G104] Re: M4 with Fisher drivers hoods ? The Italians also had M4A4s with the radial.  I have an old photo from a Japanese magazine, if I can just find it!  The APG re-engined M10 had a manufacturer’s plate from Oto Melara on the rear armor, and the M4A4 had a similar looking deck arrangement.  There was no splashguard or cover over the forward air intake grate, but it did have the additional filler caps on each side of it.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
                Thanks all - most informative.

                It is interesting to see the amount of work they were prepared to undertake to keep the Shermans going post-war.

                Adrian.