Re: [G104] TM 9-737 T1E3 Mine Exploder

  • Ray Merriam
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
      Yes, I certainly enjoyed the fact that Chuck beat Uncle Sam. I knew Chuck, too, briefly as he had sent me some potential article possibilities when I was publishing a magazine in the 70s, and he also had approached me with a book about aircraft gun turrets, which fell by the wayside for some unknown reason – probably I got busy and didn’t keep following up on it with him which happens from time to time with some of my authors.

      And that Wingate report had some redaction done to it by the CIA before they dumped their WWII files in the Archives.

      Ray

      Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2013 4:20 PM
      Subject: Re: [G104] TM 9-737 T1E3 Mine Exploder

      Ray,

      Like you said, you won't hit the blocks until you access NARA or other US Government files, or are a small businesses the Fed have pinged.  This is something a fellow researcher sent me on one of the reclassification blocks he hit --

        "A while ago, I comprehensively searched the General Correspondence of the Manhattan Engineer District at Archives II.  Even at this late date, I found red tabbed removal notices dated 1996 and 2005 that were essentially "we think this information is interesting, and thus classified. Sucks to be you."

      The information on Chuck Hansen's site is not something the Feds want to re-litigate, because they would;
          a. Lose again paying "reasonable attourney fees to whomever takes the work pro-bono" and,
          b. More importantly draw attention to what they did, causing both the replication of said data and increasing the professional pool of lawyers willing to pick Federal pockets like Chuck's lawyers did.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
        Ah, "b", the good ol' "Streisand effect" in action.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

        Cheers,

        Logan

        On 1/28/2013 4:20 PM, Trent Telenko wrote:

[...]

      • Adrian Harris
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2013
          > I'll pull my book out and scan the pages that might be useful for you.

          Thanks Roy but I have found a cheap copy of that book - "MV-17 on the T1E1 and T1E3" by Sid Arnold ?

          Should be with me this week with any luck.

          Adrian.