TM 9-737 T1E3 Mine Exploder

  • adrianharris21
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi

      Does anyone have a copy of TM 9-737 on the "Aunt Jemima" T1E3 mine exploder ?

      Not sure of the copyright on this document, being ex-US military but I guess it's public domain now ?

      I've tried all the usual suspects (Easy1, Military Info) etc but the only place I've found with a copy listed is the Dutch Leger Museum site, and they've just closed for a 2 year site relocation.

      Thanks in advance.

      Adrian.
    • Ray Merriam
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
        All U.S. government publications and documents are in the public domain from the day they are created. Some, of course, may be protected by security classifications, but all WWII era publications have been declassified.

        Ray Merriam
        Merriam Press

        Sent: Sunday, 27 January, 2013 5:54 PM
        Subject: [G104] TM 9-737 T1E3 Mine Exploder

        Hi

        Does anyone have a copy of TM 9-737 on the "Aunt Jemima" T1E3 mine exploder ?

        Not sure of the copyright on this document, being ex-US military but I guess it's public domain now ?

        I've tried all the usual suspects (Easy1, Military Info) etc but the only place I've found with a copy listed is the Dutch Leger Museum site, and they've just closed for a 2 year site relocation.

        Thanks in advance.

        Adrian.

        ------------------------------------

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            G104-digest@yahoogroups.com
            G104-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Trent Telenko
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
          Ray,

          That is mostly, but not completely, true.  The US goverment has reclassified two sets of WW2 data that it had previously made "Approved for Public Release".

          The first set is nuclear data related to the calutron and various other A-bomb making techniques were reclassified after the 1st Gulf War in the mid 1990's, after the full undersranding of Iraq's Ba'athist nuclear weapons program came out.

          The second set related to WW2 offensive chemical warfare manuals in 2005, which came after the attempted April 2004 Al-Qaeda Chemical bombing of Amman, Jordan.

          I have run into both "reclassification blocks" in my research on the end of the Pacific War.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
            Roy: I'm hoping to build a 1.6th scale model of the T1E3, so am looking for some decent exploded diagrams to show how the various parts fit together.

            I've found various illustrations on line, the style of which would indicate they came from the TM, but without the original I don't know if that is the full extent of the diagrams within the TM.

            I'd also be interested to know if any of these units survive anywhere ?

            Adrian.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
              Not that reclassification does much good for copies already “out there,” it would prevent the public getting them from government sources like the National Archives. And someone selling originals or copies could get into trouble now, but chances are they wouldn’t know about the reclassification until the Feds came knocking on their door.

              One female customer some years ago (mid-90s) bitched at me for selling copies of a report about Wingate’s Chindit expedition that included details of how to blow up a bridge (among other things, but that was the specific example she used), claiming such would help terrorists. That same report is still available from the National Archives, where I got it from in the 70s, and I’m still selling it. A lot of material is available that could help anyone do damage to all sorts of things (and people). Remember the late Chuck Hansen, who wrote a book about the U.S.’s nuclear weapons? He did it using only declassified, publicly available materials, yet the government took him to court for publishing “classified” material.

              There’s a saying about locking the barn door after the horses have gotten out...

              Ray

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                Ray,

                  I don't disagree about your points on barn doors and copies in circulation, but most of the on-line sources I buy from have honored the reclassification.

                  It is simply too much of a financial risk for a US small business to get hauled to court by the Feds.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                  Understood, but like I said, not everyone will know about the reclassification (like me until you stated in your previous message). Not that I have ever had any of that material (for the spooks that are listening).

                  Chuck’s work is still available as PDF files available online for a fee: http://www.uscoldwar.com/ Other authors, including novelists like Tom Clancy, as well as historians have used his work for details in their work. Chuck got his info through FOIA and knew how to work the declassification system like no one else.

                  Ray

                  Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2013 2:19 PM

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                    Ray,

                    Like you said, you won't hit the blocks until you access NARA or other US Government files, or are a small businesses the Fed have pinged.  This is something a fellow researcher sent me on one of the reclassification blocks he hit --

                      "A while ago, I comprehensively searched the General Correspondence of the Manhattan Engineer District at Archives II.  Even at this late date, I found red tabbed removal notices dated 1996 and 2005 that were essentially "we think this information is interesting, and thus classified. Sucks to be you."

                    The information on Chuck Hansen's site is not something the Feds want to re-litigate, because they would;
                        a. Lose again paying "reasonable attourney fees to whomever takes the work pro-bono" and,
                        b. More importantly draw attention to what they did, causing both the replication of said data and increasing the professional pool of lawyers willing to pick Federal pockets like Chuck's lawyers did.

                    Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2013 2:19 PM

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                      Yes, I certainly enjoyed the fact that Chuck beat Uncle Sam. I knew Chuck, too, briefly as he had sent me some potential article possibilities when I was publishing a magazine in the 70s, and he also had approached me with a book about aircraft gun turrets, which fell by the wayside for some unknown reason – probably I got busy and didn’t keep following up on it with him which happens from time to time with some of my authors.

                      And that Wingate report had some redaction done to it by the CIA before they dumped their WWII files in the Archives.

                      Ray

                      Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2013 2:19 PM

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 5, 2013
                          > I'll pull my book out and scan the pages that might be useful for you.

                          Thanks Roy but I have found a cheap copy of that book - "MV-17 on the T1E1 and T1E3" by Sid Arnold ?

                          Should be with me this week with any luck.

                          Adrian.