Re: [G104] Use of 105mm turrets for M4A3E4 or M4A1E6 conversions?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18 2:37 PM
      Hi P-O,

       I asked you to keep an eye out for 105mm turrets based on a couple hints found in period docs.

      1. A BMY memo having to do with a Defense Assistance Contract for 413 M4A1 (E6) has "Redesign gun shield & adapt & mount into 105 mm turret."

      2. Yugoslavia is said to have received a very generic 583 "M4 Series, 76mm gun" up to Jan 31, 1954. However, an earlier list is more specific when it mentions 100 "Tank Medium M4A3, 105mm Basket type with 76mm gun."

      Note that the Ordnance Committee Item that describes the conversions & provides the nomenclature M4A1E6 & M4A3E4, only mentions the use of M4A1(75)VVSS & M4A3(75)(WET)VVSS. I like to try to verify period docs with what can be learned from surviving Shermans. Thanks to Claus in Denmark, we know that some M4A3(105)VVSS hulls were used. I suspect this is because they were abundant & available & not much different from the M4A3(75)W.  Discussing this with Claus, my speculation was that the howitzer turrets were replaced with 75mm turrets because they lacked power traverse. If we can find a few surviving examples with howitzer turrets, I would think they were used towards the end of the program because the supply of 75mm turrets was drying up. If so, one wonders did they have power traverse?

      Possible locations - India...Pakistan...Yugo ?