Beffe Sherman turret

  • Michael Lembo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2012
        The turret on the Beffe Sherman has casting and serial no. info in a different format than most of the others I have seen, serial no.A75 is the first I have seen with a letter prefix. Does anyone know what manufacturer made this one?  Also, like the XLR turret on the M4A1(76)HVSS in Vilseck, there is a number stamped into the left rear turret wall with a Y prefix.  On the Vilseck XLR it is Y920.  On the Beffe there is Y658 stamped in the same location.

      Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2012
        >Does anyone know what manufacturer made this one?

        If that is a combat casualty as some say, then the turret is probably original to that hull.
        Chrysler got its supply of turrets from American Steel & Continental Steel.
        The castings for both companies can be ID'd by three little "bumps" on the turret roof.

        The turrets cast by Continental seem to be characterized by a "hardness" of the lower edge.
        (Later turret, but same kind of lower edges on the C-H turret in the pix that Roy posted earlier.)
        Would guess the Beffe's was cast by C - Wheeling.

        Lots of castings have part serial numbers with letter prefixes.
        I suspect they would indicate minor revisions.
        Like A75 might indicate the 75th casting after the extra lifting ring had been eliminated from the mold?

        Joe

        Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:36 PM
        Subject: [G104] Beffe Sherman turret

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2012

          That’s a CFM-Wheeling turret.  SER A61 is in Tecumseh, Nebraska and photographed by Gary Binder: https://picasaweb.google.com/gebinder01/M4A3ShermanTanksInNebraska#5192580400316932562

          CFM tanks can be characterized by the raised “tick” marks at the 6 o’clock and sometimes 3, 9 and 12 o’clock positions as well.  You can see the mark lower right corner of your photo.  CFM-Hubbard turrets put their markings back on the bustle. https://picasaweb.google.com/gebinder01/M4A3ShermanTanksInNebraska#5192577243515968786

          Both plants sometimes put a trademark under the bustle, on the bustle rear, or above the pistol port.

          ASF put their marks in front of the cupola as well, but farther back: https://picasaweb.google.com/gebinder01/M4A3ShermanTanksInNebraska#5192574129664678290

          As Joe mentioned, ASF appears to have machined the area immediately above turret race into a cylinder to clear the parts inside the splash ring, while CFM made a 45-degree conical cut going up and out.  Because the turret wasn’t a cylinder, the resulting edge looks jagged on their parts.

          HTH,

          KL