Beffe Sherman

  • Michael Lembo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2012
         I was able to take a look at the Beffe Sherman at the end of last month.  The tow hook mounts do not look very promising (attached photo).  They would have to be sandblasted or hit with an air-scaler to see if there is anything readable. I have a 1974 issue of "After the Battle" magazine showing this tank in its post-war resting place beside the road to Magoster. The rear end is deep in weeds and brush and it was still sitting there in the 1970's, so it is probable that there is nothing but rust pitting under the paint on the tow hook mounts.

        I stuck the camera through the grating over the bow gunner's hatch opening and tried to get a photo of the data plate area.(attached) The problem here is that there are two pieces of rusty sheet metal laying in front of the data plate location.  There may even be a data plate behind that metal.  Maybe a rod with a hook on it could be stuck through the opening on the bow gunner side to pull the metal away. The tank is in bad need of a repaint and the interior is filling up with trash.  Can any of the Belgian guys on here find out if the town has a plan to repaint that tank in the near future?  If so, maybe coordination could be made to search for numbers while it is undergoing renovation?

      Michael