Re: [G104] Sherman OB for deploying Armored Dvisions

  • Michael Canaday
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2012
      I do not believe any division was fully equipped with 76mm tanks. Usually the ration was 2 76mm to 3 75mm to start with. There are plenty of photos of 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th AD 75mm tanks.  As for the 9th being entirely equipped with 75mm, C. Windsor Miller's account indicates he drew a 76mm in England before the division deployed to Europe and kept it to the end of the fighting. Miller was a platoon commander in A Company, 14th Tank Battalion, 9th Armored Division.

      Mike Canaday

      Recently I came across this statement at www.militaryhistoryonline
      "By late 1944 there was usually one M4 Sherman 76mm per platoon. However, the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th Armored divisions which arrived in late 1944 were entirely equipped with the M4 Sherman 76mm. This was also true of the divisions which arrived in 1945 (the 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, and 20th). Of course, combat losses in these divisions were replaced by whatever was available -- which often meant M4 Sherman 75 mm tanks."

      I was under the impression that other than the 9th and 20th, both of which started with full complements of 75mm armed Shermans but switched entirely to the 76mm that no division deployed entirely equiped with 76mm Shermans. I find it odd that for example the 8th armored, as but one example, entered combat late in January 45 but in February, as reported in Zaloga, the total OB showed 107 75s and 47 76s! Can anyone comment on this assertion and point to a chart or discussion of 75/76mm armed Shermans when these divisions deployed?

      As always many thanks!