Re: M4A1(76)HVSS in Vilseck

  • Pierre-Olivier
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2012
      Note that "Armagnac II" was another early M4A3(76) with XLR turret in use with 12ème RCA, 2nd French Armored Div. However its SN/RN are unknown :
      http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747

      P-O

      --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick13@...> wrote:

      > >this is SN 68648, stamped in the "French location" on the transmission housing and build no. 1-942.
      >
      > This would have been accepted in April, 1945. The build number is about 5 short of of the actual sequence, so pretty close & useful in the case of missing Serial Number.
      >
      > >hull casting is General Steel, with firewall date 1-45, No.1413 cast in next to the date.
      >
      > You can see there was a pretty good time lag between when the hull was cast, & when it was actually used.
      >
      > GS must have been cutting back on hull production as things wound down, since #1435 is dated 3-45 C.
      >
      > >The really surprising thing is that it has an XLR turret.
      >
      > Well from the above, it's obvious that that can't possibly be original to that tank, just by the dates.
      >
      > P-O recently "found" the serial number of Champagne. No surprise that it is an exact mathematical match to the USA Number seen in period photos.
      > The 2eme DB had another early M4A3(76) USA 3099835, named Picardie in the Liberation photos, & then Savoie when it was KO'd months later.
      > At first I was thinking maybe that could be its turret, but it has all those MDAP fribbles & flapdoodles on it, so it was most likely put on in the States.
      >

      > Joe
    • Michael Lembo
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2012
        I just realized I made a typo with the hull casting serial number, it is 1314, not 1413. Here is a photo of it.  That is still not very many hulls produced in that amount of time though.

        Michael