Re: [G104] Re: Shermans in Korea

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2012

      >Also, that M26 could have had 30127805 on it when captured, that is a valid M26 registration

      I was thinking that too, Michael.
      I would bet that's the authentic Reg Number.

      >It has a painted RN 3099900x

      3099900 would be a valid USA Number for an M4A3(76)VVSS with early glacis features like that.
      It has had a few mods, but the extra lifting ring on the turret would be appropriate, so could be the original.
      Wonder if it has evidence of dozer fittings?
      There are a few pix of them in use during the Korean War.

      Wonder if they would let a running dog lackey of the imperialist aggressors poke around on them for ID purposes?

      "Quit yer Beliaken" definitely seems like a name an American kid would come up with.

      There are probably as many if not more Signal Corps pix of Sherman tanks in Korea as WW II.
      Speaking of odd tank names, I came across a couple pix that have references to Hadacol, so Googled it...

      >so I checked the right, rear tow lug and found 6164.

      Chris, Jim Goetz looked at the Rice's Red Devils Sherman in Hawaii & reported the S/N is 61644.

      Joe

      Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:40 PM
      Subject: Re: [G104] Re: Shermans in Korea

      It could be that the North Koreans captured these with damaged or scraped up names and RN's and then tried to preserve them

      The names on the M4's could be distortions or garbled repaints of:

      Bed Bug
      Xcaliber
      Quit yer Belly Aching (joke-spelled Beliaken)

      Also, that M26 could have had 30127805 on it when captured, that is a valid M26 registration.

      Michael