Vilseck M4A1(76)HVSS

  • Michael Lembo
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2012
      Here is another for the PSC M4A1 list:

         The M4A1(76)HVSS at the front gate of Vilseck has build no. 1-942 stamped in the left rear hull side and serial no. 68648 stamped in the upper edge of the transmission housing, about in the middle from left to right.  It has a General Steel upper hull casting, but no large numbers cast into the turret sides. The escape hatch is out so I will eventually go inside to confirm the serial no. by the data plate frame and check the hull casting date. Since this tank is right by the front gate in full veiw of the German contract gate guards, I can't photograph it or go inside until I get the museum on post to call them directly and order them to stay in their shack and not interfere.  Otherwise, as I found out in Schweinfurt, they will assume I must be a terrorist for pulling out a camera and climbing on top of the tank.  I will be working on Vilseck for a week in September and am planning to get the rest of the info from this one then.  This is the same one that was parked next to Cobra King in the '90s with "THUNDERBOLT" painted on the side.  Am I correct in caculating 30126627 as its RN?

      Michael
    • Trent Telenko
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2012
        This link has a photograph gallery of Israeli Sherman tanks and other weapon/recovery variants based on the Sherman hull.

      • Tom Gannon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2012
          Re: [G104] Israeli Sherman Modifications This has been around for awhile.  Some of his images are in the wrong place, at first glance, plus some incorrect labeling with western misinterpretations, such as Isherman, which is not an official designation.  Lot of work went into it, though.

          Tom

          On 8/14/12 4:42 PM, "Trent Telenko" <trent_telenko@...> wrote:

          This link has a photograph gallery of Israeli Sherman tanks and other weapon/recovery variants based on the Sherman hull.

          http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/Sherman.html

          Tanks
          M4 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/M-4.html>
          M-1 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/M-1.html>
          M-50 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/M-50.html>
          M-51 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/M-51.html>
          M-60 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/M-60.html>
          Engineer/Recovery
          M-32 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/engineer_vehicles/m-32/M-32.html>
          Trail Blazer <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/engineer_vehicles/trailblazer/Trailblazer.html>
          On Tank <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/on_tank/On_Tank.html>
          Artillery
          L-33 <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/l-33/L-33.html>
          M-50 155mm <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/m-50_155mm/M-50_155mm.html>
          Makmat 160mm <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/makmat/Makmat.html>
          240mm <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/240mm/240mm.html>
          290mm <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/290mm/290mm.html>
          Kilshon <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/self_propelled_artillery/kilshon/Kilshon.html>
          More
          Ambutank <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/ambutank/Ambutank.html>
          Driver Trainig <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/drivers_trainig/Driver_Trainig.html>
          Eyal
          <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/eyal/Eyal.html>
          Monster
          <http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/monster/Monster.html>

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2012
            Thanks for the report, Michael.
            Yes, that is the corresponding Registration Number for 68648.
            If the build number on the side was exact, that one would be 947 by my theory, so pretty close.
            The fact that you found the serial number on the outside indicates former French service.
            The Israeli Weapons website states the French provided 250 Shermans to the Israelis, & one would think the serial number in a box might be on some of them...
            Are you making a return trip any time soon, Tom?

            Joe

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
              Hi Joe,
                 Just to clarify,  the serial numbers on this one and the M4A1 No.37903 are not in a box.  The location is different on the two tanks, the 68648 is in about the middle of the transmission housing, 37903 is on the upper right corner.  The style of numbering also looks different, but I will have to wait till I can get a photo of 68648 to compare.  All three of the M24's in Schweinfurt (78, 88, 2113) had serial numbers in boxes, so does 648 in Graf and 1567 in Vilseck. Serial numbers 982 and 1491 in Graf. have no box around them.  I can't see a number on the M4A1E9 in Graf, I think it got painted recently. I recall seeing on a forum that someone else had looked at it and found a number in a box, I just can't remember where or when I saw that.

              Do you have an approx. manufacture date for 68648?

              Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:10 PM

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
                >Do you have an approx.
                manufacture date for 68648?

                April, 1945.

                Joe

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
                  This Kilshon Sherman chassis was the first I had heard of Israeli extended range versions of the Shrike & Standard Anti-radar missiles.

                  Trust to the Israelis to pioneer unmanned "SAM Plinking."