Shipping codes

    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 4, 2012

      From: G104@yahoogroups.com [mailto:G104@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael Lembo

      . . .  So the complete code is: GLUE-I-ORDII-ADV-SD341LD92 with the 9 questionable. . . .

      I finally found my Army Marking Directive (TM 38-414, May 45) that explains (in general) what this code means.

      GLUE – a coded destination.  Always four letters, either a word or pronounceable combination.

      I – Time priority indicator.  This indicates the expected half-month period when the shipment is expected to be forwarded overseas.  I means May 1 to 15.

      ORDII – Shipping service and class of supply; Ordnance class II.

      ADV- Consignee combination.  Indicates special receipt handling or disposition.  No info except that it was assigned by the theatre rather than CONUS because it doesn’t start with an S.

      SD341LD92 – Identification of Separate Shipment.  Three parts, actually:

      ·         SD341 – The 41st requisition in series D, initiated by the Chief of Ordnance.

      ·         LD – Depot making direct shipment overseas, in this case Lima Ordnance Depot, aka Lima Tank Depot.

      ·         92 – Transportation unit number.  Probably indicates the 92nd vehicle shipped under the requisition, but could be the 92nd railroad car carrying vehicles.

      Hope that helps,

      Message 58 of 58 , Jul 7, 2012

        Remember, it was *intended* to be shipped in May.

        It may not have been shipped until 1945 . . . As a dozer, it could’ve been used for rubble clearance and might have hit some UXO . . . Just guessing.

        Ah, 1952 – When kids were encouraged to climb all over tanks and original Wehrmacht field caps were a dime a dozen J

        KL