M4 (Direct Vision) with 3 pc transmission and M3 Bogeys in Combat

  • mrharlee
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 9:53 PM
      Hello everyone and am glad to be on this Yahoo Group

      Making my first post here, related to the earliest configuration of the M4 variant. Does any one have pictures in their collection or could point me to a website with actual war time combat pictures of the M4 variant with these specific configuration :

      i Direct Vision slots, on the early welded hull

      ii. 3 Piece transmission cover

      iii. Early M3 Lee type bogey, instead of the later M4 heavy bogey

      iv. M34 gun mantlet

      I've seen the color pictures of this variant (hope its not an early version M4A2) in training with some M3 Lee medium tanks in Fort Knox, circa 1942. However, I have yet to see pics of this variant taken from the battle fields. Moreover, the closest to this configuration are the Black & White pics of knocked out M4s after the debacle at Kasserine Pass - Sidi Bou Zid. However, these were fitted with the single piece cast steel transmission cover. These were pics are from Steven Zaloga's "The M4 Sherman at War (2) The U.S. Army in the European Theater 1943-45".

      I'm just wondering whether there were any early DV M4s in this configuration that saw action in Tunisia or even the Italian Campaign, or were they just utilised for training stateside. The more common war time pics I have seen are the cast steel hull M4A1s (Direct Vision) in this early configuration.

      Hope the experts here can fill me in on this particular subject.

      Thanks,
      Peter