Return roller bracket designs

  • adrianharris21
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012
      Another esoteric question.

      On an M32 which was near me until recently, there were two distinct types of return roller bracket designs.

      One had a fully rounded corner, the other was more angular in design.

      I've uploaded a picture of each here:

      Is there any significance to the difference in design ?

      Different original models, manufacturers, time lines, theatres ?

      Adrian.
    • TANKBARRELL@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012
        Different manufacturers. I've seen a lot of detail variation in all parts depending on maker.
      • adrianharris21
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012
          Thanks.

          Any known correlation between models and manufacturers ?

          IE, would an M4A4 always have had one type, and never another ?

          Barring any field replacements of course.

          Adrian.

        • TANKBARRELL@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012
            That probably changed over time. Chrysler were using castings from many different suppliers, my tanks front hatch surrounds are from different manufacturers and they vary in shape quite a bit. Whether all the left ones were from one supplier and the right from another or whether they were just chosen randomly, I have no idea.
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012

              To be more specific, it not a function of the tank or bogie manufacturer but the foundry that cast the bracket.

              KL

              From: G104@yahoogroups.com [mailto:G104@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of TANKBARRELL@...

              Different manufacturers. I've seen a lot of detail variation in all parts depending on maker.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                >Any known correlation between models and manufacturers ?

                You are likely to find a hodgepodge of different parts on surviving
                Shermans. That was made possible by the Henry Ford concept of
                "interchangeability." However, most of the builders procured their parts
                from specific suppliers, so, as built, the tanks had a fairly consistent
                appearance. For instance, Chrysler got its supply of turrets from
                Continental Steel & American Steel Foundries. If you see a turret cast by,
                say, Union Steel on a Chrysler built Sherman, it's not original. Almost
                every Chrysler Sherman with VVSS was built with the pressed spoke style
                wheels & idlers that they designed. Chrysler used a particular type of drive
                sprocket. The available evidence suggests that they did not supply those
                sprockets to anyone else, so they may be considered a minor recognition
                feature in period photos, but forget about it on surviving tanks.

                Can you tell us anything about the M32 you looked at?

                Regarding M4 S/N 1940...an original Baldwin dataplate is extremely rare to
                see. The tank appears to have been remanufactured, but where & when? There's
                another plate right next to the dataplate that is completely obscured by
                paint. It may be the remanufacturer's ID plate. There are a few questionable
                "aftermarket" items on that tank like the headlamps, the gun travel lock, &
                possibly even the front lifting rings - never saw that type before. Baldwin
                Shermans were made at the right time - 1943. Consequently, just about every
                one of them was sent overseas. We were wondering if that one might have had
                an interesting history...

                > Any known correlation between models and manufacturers ?
                >
                > IE, would an M4A4 always have had one type, and never another ?
                >
                > Barring any field replacements of course.
                >
                > Adrian.
                >
                > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, TANKBARRELL@... wrote:
                >>
                >> Different manufacturers. I've seen a lot of detail variation in all parts
                >> depending on maker.
              • adrianharris21
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Hi Joe.

                  Probably best to stick with one type for each model then.

                  The M32 was a gate guardian at the REME Museum in Berkshire, UK.

                  http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/collections_view.aspx?id=231

                  There's a good set of walkaround pictures here:

                  http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=9048

                  It's been removed for what's hoped to be a full restoration.

                  Adrian.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                    >Probably best to stick with one type for each model then.

                    There are a few period pix, but I wouldn't recommend too much "mix & match"
                    on a Sherman model. With a surviving tank, the guys have to get what they
                    can get. It's encouraging that a few restorers are interested in trying to
                    backdate to certain time periods. The commander's split hatch seems to be in
                    short supply, since a lot of surviving Shermans were retrofitted with the
                    all round vision cupola, such as can be seen on the M4 at
                    Chalons-en-Champagne.

                    >The M32 was a gate guardian at the REME Museum in Berkshire, UK.

                    OK. I remember corresponding with a REME guy in Kosovo way back when. They
                    were talking about bringing that home & restoring to runner. From the pix,
                    it was originally a Pressed Steel Car M4A1. It doesn't have a riveted lower
                    hull, so figure Spring 1943 production or a little later. It has the "wide
                    door" in the "turret" which would indicate a late 1944 or early 1945 M32B1
                    conversion.

                    MDAP docs state the Yugos got 23 M32 series.

                    >It's been removed for what's hoped to be a full restoration.

                    I'd be curious to know if the REME people find a readable dataplate in
                    there.

                    I've attached a photo of an M32 seen crossing the Moselle River, 9/13/44.
                    Taking into account average shipping times of 3 to 4 months, this unit could
                    only have been converted by Pressed Steel Car in March or April 1944. You
                    can see the retriever has a riveted lower hull & the early type of hull
                    lifting ring. I suspect this was originally a very early PSC M4 with direct
                    vision & M3 bogies. The reason I think that is because if it had been made
                    with M4 bogies, they wouldn't have had to replace them. You can see it has a
                    mix & match of bogie units with a couple of the "upturned" return roller
                    arms. I would think the supply of "straight" arms would have been nearly
                    exhausted at the time this conversion was done. The spare drive sprockets
                    are also mix & match. The front one with the dimples was exclusive to Ford
                    built M4A3s, & the rear one is what I call the M3 Lee type. If necessary,
                    of course, these could have ended up on any Sherman.

                  • TANKBARRELL@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                      When I restored my Sherman, I went to some trouble to have matching parts. I found NOS Chrysler sprockets and spent a lot of time getting a set of matching suspension arms and roller brackets together, all of the correct pattern for my tank.

                      Not something they would have had time for in the field though!
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 11, 2012
                        Have you gents seen this?

                        Empire Heritage
                        Convoy HFX 305 (out of Halifax?)
                        Sunk North Atlantic, Sept 8, 1944

                        Looks like there are a few 105 Shermans in the mix.

                        http://www.deepimage.co.uk/wrecks/empire_heritage/empire-pages/empire-mainpage.htm#

                        Joe
                      • Al Bowie
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 11, 2012
                          Thanks Joe, very interesting images and I wonder why so many hatches are open on the tanks? I would assume these were dogged and sealed for shipping. The other intriguing image is the M4 105 with no drive sprockets which appears to have been on a low loader or Recovery trailer. Quite a number of Bogies and tracks are missing from a few of the vehicles and I can only assume these were from the initial explosion from the torpedo or a secondary explosion?

                          Sunk North Atlantic, Sept 8, 1944

                          Looks like there are a few 105 Shermans in the mix.

                          http://www.deepimage.co.uk/wrecks/empire_heritage/empire-pages/empire-mainpage.htm#

                          Joe

                        • Adrian Harris
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 12, 2012
                            Great info Joe :) happy

                            I think this M32 was a PSC model - it had the flat plate transition from the hull floor to the rear plate, rather than the rounded transition.

                            The wheels were certainly an odd mixture but given its travels I'm not surprised.

                            I'll keep an eye out and see if they return it to the museum.

                            Adrian.

> [...]

                            >> feature in period photos, but forget about it on surviving tanks.
                            >>
                            >> Can you tell us anything about the M32 you looked at?
                            >>
                            >> Regarding M4 S/N 1940...an original Baldwin dataplate is extremely rare
                            >> see. The tank appears to have been remanufactured, but where & when?
                            >> There's
                            >> another plate right next to the dataplate that is completely obscured by
                            >> paint. It may be the remanufacturer's ID plate. There are a few
                            >> questionable
                            >> "aftermarket" items on that tank like the headlamps, the gun travel lock,
                            >> &
                            >> possibly even the front lifting rings - never saw that type before.
                            >> Baldwin
                            >> Shermans were made at the right time - 1943. Consequently, just about
                            >> every
                            >> one of them was sent overseas. We were wondering if that one might have

                          • Robert Buettner
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 20, 2012
                              If they can restore tanks that have been stuck in bogs for 70 years, restoring one that has been on the bottom of the ocean shouldn't be too bad, right?

                              ~Robert

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Sunk North Atlantic, Sept 8, 1944

                              Looks like there are a few 105 Shermans in the mix.

                              http://www.deepimage.co.uk/wrecks/empire_heritage/empire-pages/empire-mainpage.htm#

                              Joe

                              =
                            • Chad Lares