Re: M4A4 engine access panel shape

  • adrianharris21
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
      Thanks for the reply - the only one I've on this subject so obviously not something on which there is much documentation!

      Adrian.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012

        I suggest you look through this site.

        http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France.html

        P-O has documented more tanks in the detail we like than anyone on the web.  It is certainly the best source for M4A2 and M4A4 photos in as near as-built as is possible almost 70 years later.  In many or most he has included photos of the serial stampings, so an hour or two ought to give you a good bit of data.

        KL

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012

          Adrian (Harris): Are you talking about the engine access doors on the lower rear hull, or the closing strip between them?

          For example,

          http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_mulhouse/imagepages/image13.html

          KL

        • adrianharris21
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
            Hi Kurt.

            It's not the rear doors but the access panels in the hull floor.

            I've uploaded a photo of the M4A4 in the IWM in London here:

            You can see from the bolt holes in the one on the left that the edge closest to the camera is at an angle.

            Adrian.

            --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Laughlin" <fleeta@...> wrote:

            > Adrian (Harris): Are you talking about the engine access doors on the lower
            > rear hull, or the closing strip between them?
            >

            > For example,
            >

            > http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_mulhouse/imagepages/image
            > 13.html
            >

            > KL

          • Adrian Harris
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
              Many thanks for the link - I'll have a browse through them tonight.

              Adrian.