Re: [G104] M4A4 engine access panel shape

  • TANKBARRELL@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
      Mine is rectangular and is serial 5271, September 1942, so fairly early. I have often wondered when the change occurred.
    • adrianharris21
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
        Thanks for the reply - the only one I've on this subject so obviously not something on which there is much documentation!

        Adrian.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012

          I suggest you look through this site.

          http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France.html

          P-O has documented more tanks in the detail we like than anyone on the web.  It is certainly the best source for M4A2 and M4A4 photos in as near as-built as is possible almost 70 years later.  In many or most he has included photos of the serial stampings, so an hour or two ought to give you a good bit of data.

          KL

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012

            Adrian (Harris): Are you talking about the engine access doors on the lower rear hull, or the closing strip between them?

            For example,

            http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_mulhouse/imagepages/image13.html

            KL

          • adrianharris21
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
              Hi Kurt.

              It's not the rear doors but the access panels in the hull floor.

              I've uploaded a photo of the M4A4 in the IWM in London here:

              You can see from the bolt holes in the one on the left that the edge closest to the camera is at an angle.

              Adrian.

              --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Laughlin" <fleeta@...> wrote:

              > Adrian (Harris): Are you talking about the engine access doors on the lower
              > rear hull, or the closing strip between them?
              >

              > For example,
              >

              > http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_mulhouse/imagepages/image
              > 13.html
              >

              > KL

            • Adrian Harris
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
                Many thanks for the link - I'll have a browse through them tonight.

                Adrian.