M4A4 engine access panel shape

  • Adrian Harris
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
      Does anyone know when the left hand (as viewed from the rear) engine access hatch on the M4A4 changed from rectangular to trapezoidal ?

      All the diagrams and scale kits (Tasca etc) I have found seem to have rectangular hatches but both M4A4 tanks of which I have pictures (London Imperial War Museum and Bovington Tank Museum Firefly VC) have a trapezoidal panel fitted in this position.

      Adrian.
    • TANKBARRELL@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
        Mine is rectangular and is serial 5271, September 1942, so fairly early. I have often wondered when the change occurred.
      • adrianharris21
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
          Thanks for the reply - the only one I've on this subject so obviously not something on which there is much documentation!

          Adrian.

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012

            I suggest you look through this site.

            http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France.html

            P-O has documented more tanks in the detail we like than anyone on the web.  It is certainly the best source for M4A2 and M4A4 photos in as near as-built as is possible almost 70 years later.  In many or most he has included photos of the serial stampings, so an hour or two ought to give you a good bit of data.

            KL

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012

              Adrian (Harris): Are you talking about the engine access doors on the lower rear hull, or the closing strip between them?

              For example,

              http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_mulhouse/imagepages/image13.html

              KL

            • adrianharris21
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
                Hi Kurt.

                It's not the rear doors but the access panels in the hull floor.

                I've uploaded a photo of the M4A4 in the IWM in London here:

                You can see from the bolt holes in the one on the left that the edge closest to the camera is at an angle.

                Adrian.

                --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Laughlin" <fleeta@...> wrote:

                > Adrian (Harris): Are you talking about the engine access doors on the lower
                > rear hull, or the closing strip between them?
                >

                > For example,
                >

                > http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_mulhouse/imagepages/image
                > 13.html
                >

                > KL

              • Adrian Harris
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2012
                  Many thanks for the link - I'll have a browse through them tonight.

                  Adrian.