Re: [G104] Flamethrower Tanks and Doctrine in WWII Technology

  • spideytank@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 10 3:14 AM
      Do you know if you need to be invited to attend?

      In a message dated 2/10/2012 2:56:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mdavino@... writes:

      In case anyone has trouble opening that URL, here is the text of the announcement:

      Friday evening talk
      February 17, 2012
      7 pm to 8:45 pm

      Flamethrower
      Tanks and Doctrine in

      WWII Technology

      Major John P. Ringquist
      United States Military Academy
      at West Point

      The Soldiers Sailors Club
      283 Lexington Avenue
      (between 36th and 37th Streets)
      New York City

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 10 7:17 AM
        According to the NYMAS website, "NYMAS talks are free and open to the public."

        I made a presentation at one several years ago about US Central Command's role in the Global War on Terrorism when I was still on active duty.  It was a quite diverse audience.

        Mike D

        For those on the group who will be in the New York City area next week, this presentation may be of interest:

        http://nymas.org/

        Mike D

      • Trent Telenko
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17 10:46 AM
          Digital recordings of the talk's audio will be on the NYMAS web site after the talk is given.

          According to the NYMAS website, "NYMAS talks are free and open to the public."

          I made a presentation at one several years ago about US Central Command's role in the Global War on Terrorism when I was still on active duty.  It was a quite diverse audience.

          Mike D

          For those on the group who will be in the New York City area next week, this presentation may be of interest:

          http://nymas.org/

          Mike D

        • watchman662000
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 21, 2012
            Thanks for bringing the NYMAS site to our attention. I did listen to the podcast, during which I noted some information gaps, due to a lack of firsthand accounts. Major Rinquist was therefore very interested to hear that my father, a member of the 713th Tank Battalion (Flamethrower)is still among us. The Major will be interviewing my father to possibly fill in the information they lack. I'm hoping another surviving member of A company, with whom I am in contact, will be interested in being interviewed as well.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 21, 2012
              Watchman, did your Dad take any photos? Did he or the other vet ever mention
              using the firehose attachment in combat?

              > Thanks for bringing the NYMAS site to our attention. I did listen to the
              > podcast, during which I noted some information gaps, due to a lack of
              > firsthand accounts. Major Rinquist was therefore very interested to hear
              > that my father, a member of the 713th Tank Battalion (Flamethrower)is
              > still among us. The Major will be interviewing my father to possibly fill
              > in the information they lack. I'm hoping another surviving member of A
              > company, with whom I am in contact, will be interested in being
              > interviewed as well.
              >
              > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Trent Telenko <trent_telenko@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Digital recordings of the talk's audio will be on the NYMAS web site
              >> after the
              >> talk is given.
              >>

              >> ________________________________

            • watchman662000
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 21, 2012
                I already posted the pics I had onto this site. They are listed under 713th Tank Battalion. He was aware of other platoons using the firehouse attachment, but he was not involved in those actions. I will ask the other vet.

                --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DeMarco" <snick13@...> wrote:

                > Watchman, did your Dad take any photos? Did he or the other vet ever mention
                > using the firehose attachment in combat?
                >
                > Joe

              • Trent Telenko
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 22, 2012
                  Joe,

                  Steve Zaloga is putting together a WW2 American flame tank book for Osprey.

                  Steve made a visit to the RG175 files at NARA and got a bunch of stuff on the Hawaii flame thrower group that put together the Iwo jima and Okinawa Sherman flame tanks.

                  I think I have sent you the attached already, but FYI if not.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 23, 2012
                    Thanks, Trent, you had sent the pix.

                    The 713th TB AAR is very well written, compared to many of the others. The first use of the "fire hose" appears to have been on May 22nd by C Co. The Infantry operator was wounded, so the action seems to have been unsuccessful. There are 5 other instances of its use reported. All C Co except an unsuccessful attempt by B Co on June 19th. I've attached the June 19th file where it is reported that Sgt Boughan was drenched with Napalm from a badly leaking hose, but continued to use it until the fuel ran out.
                    It's mentioned that the 713th was not equipped with Infantry phones, & that they completely removed the wading gear, so the absence of those items might help to ID their Shermans in period photos. At least one of their tanks had a dozer blade. I assume the real high Speed Numbers in a different "font" indicate C Co, even though they don't make any sense with just 54 tanks. Perhaps they were taken from other units training in Hawaii, & there was no time to renumber them? There is nothing in the records about the little platforms seen on the rear sponsons of some of their tanks. Did they have anything to do with the hose?  It's noted that on May 22, Lt Butner brought up a tank that had been uparmored by Ordnance, & they were curious to see how the extra weight would perform in the terrain, but no further mention of it. "The" tank recovery vehicle is noted to have been used, which suggests they only had one. The commander recommended using M4A3s, more armor, & a 75mm main gun along with the flame unit on future tanks, including the M26, if they were to be issued. 10 Army HQ did not concur about the main gun saying it would be a distraction. In the event, the POA CWS did produce 70 H5s according to Hunnicutt, & there are a few surviving examples here in the US.

                    I couldn't cross reference the well known Signal Corps photo attached with the AAR. It is stamped June 23, but that doesn't mean it was taken on that date. Speed Number 20 can be seen to be Tank A-11. There are 4 M4(105)HVSS in the front. The 711th Tank Bn had some of those. The one to the right with Speed No 25 was named "Big Shot."  I was able to cross reference the M4A3(75)W on the far right. Speed No 43 was with C Co of the 711th, named "China Clipper" USA 3082598.

                    Watchman (Rick?), please thank your dad for his service.

                    Joe

                    href="mailto:G104%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:G104%40yahoogroups.com">G104@yahoogroups.com, Trent Telenko <trent_telenko@...> wrote:

                    >> Digital recordings of
                    the talk's audio will be on the NYMAS web site
                    >> after
                    the
                    >> talk is
                    given.

                    ________________________________
                    <mdavino@...>

                    Sent: Fri, February 10, 2012 9:17:33 AM
                    >> Subject: Re: [G104]
                    Flamethrower Tanks and Doctrine in WWII Technology

                    >> According to the NYMAS website, "NYMAS talks are free and open to
                    the
                    >> public."
                    >>
                    >> I made a presentation at one
                    several years ago about US Central Command's
                    >> role
                    >> in
                    the Global War on Terrorism when I was still on active duty. It was
                    >> quite diverse
                    audience.

                    >> Mike

                  • Trent Telenko
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 27, 2012
                      Joe,

                      The 713th AAR is not actually a complete after action report for the whole battalion.

                      The commanding Captain of "B" company,  713th FTB, filed a seperate AAR report for his actions with the Marines inside the tank annex for the 1st Marine Division.

                      I have attached the relevent section of that document, plus the 10th Army Directive #14 (dtd 05 Feb 1945) establishing the table of organization for the 713th FTB, to this e-mail.

                      Watchman, did your Dad take any photos? Did he or the other vet ever mention
                      using the firehose attachment in combat?

                      > Thanks for bringing the NYMAS site to our attention. I did listen to the
                      > podcast, during which I noted some information gaps, due to a lack of
                      > firsthand accounts. Major Rinquist was therefore very interested to hear
                      > that my father, a member of the 713th Tank Battalion (Flamethrower)is
                      > still among us. The Major will be interviewing my father to possibly fill
                      > in the information they lack. I'm hoping another surviving member of A
                      > company, with whom I am in contact, will be interested in being
                      > interviewed as well.
                      >
                      > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Trent Telenko <trent_telenko@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Digital recordings of the talk's audio will be on the NYMAS web site
                      >> after the
                      >> talk is given.

                    • Kip Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5, 2012
                        Trent,

                        Sorry- I just got to this email. We have several more images from this series of tests performed in Hawaii on the firehose adapter. They seem to have been taken on either 20 or 23 March 1945, as a demonstration for LTG Wilhelm D. Styer, C-in-C, US Forces, Western Pacific, and party.

                        If you speak to Mr. Zaloga you might mention them.

                        V/R,
                        kip

                        To: G104@yahoogroups.com