Re: ID?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2011
      At 15:37 19-11-2011 -0800, you wrote:
      >Hi, Do you have any idea what this was?
      >
      >Thanks, Mark Holloway, USA

      Hi Mark,

      This is/was a range target in Belgium, but I have no idea why the steel
      plates were welded to the front. I cannot think of anything other than for
      target use / armour testing.

      Hope this helps,
      Hanno
    • Jim Helms
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2011

        Looks to be M4A1 Sherman Crab – a mine-clearing tank. In operation, turret was rotate backwards, and the flail was spun rapidly, striking the ground in front of the tank and safely detonating the mines there. What you see could be what is left of the bracing.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2011
          It's neither M4A1 or Crab. M4A1 is cast hull anyway but I think Hanno is correct, it's not uncommon to see extra plates against targets to increase their 'presence', these have the look of being cut from something else.