PRICE TO BUY A SHERMAN TANK?

  • masternlover
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2 12:24 PM
      Hi Guys-
      What is the going price if I wanted a nice clean restored Sherman Tank? It would be used for parades and military events only and kept in a heated warehouse of course.
      I want one that is totally original motor,trans,tracks etc.
      Are any out there?
      Any other countries that have them in stock? Can they be brought back to the U.S.?
      What country would be the best place to look for a nice clean Sherman? Even if I had to restore one.Who is the best person to restore a Sherman Tank in America?
      I hope to find a nice clean piece to own.
      What about the ones they use in movies? many in Kelly' Hero's! LOL!
      Please let me know the price on a Sherman and also the best place to buy one.
      Thanks-
      Tony
    • Mike Davino
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2 6:22 PM
        have you tried e-bay and/or Craigslist....

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2 7:41 PM
          Tony

          How fat is your wallet?  I have seen open market prices for a Sherman or Sherman-family vehicle like a Grizzly of $300K and up.  If the tank is in the shape you are asking, don't expect to stumble onto one day after tomorrow.  There are collectors' clubs and websites, like MVPA and dub dub dub milweb dot net.  There is a M7 Priest listed there now.  Guys sell because they need to liquidate private collections or collapse small museums.  No matter how sympathetic people may be, at these prices it is all business.

          The US Govt theoretically still owns most of the display vehicles seen around the US, and arguably could claim ownership of many others.  Titles and paperwork either doesn't exist or can clearly show a bill of sale.  There are stories of Civil War cannons being claimed as government property.  A few years ago a nice batch of M3 Stuarts ended in Europe because the Brazilleans were prohibited from selling military aid gifts back into the US.  The Canadian made Grizzly is a cast hull Sherman, and not subject to the same international arms trade rules.

          Kelly's Heroes was filmed in the Former Yugoslavia.  They had a brutish nasty civil war 15 yrs back and anything worthwhile was either reactivated or scrapped.  A few M36 Jacksons and M18 Hellcats have come out, but no Shermans AFAIK.

          Hope this helps.

          To: G104@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3 5:17 AM
            Tony,

            Besides the difficulty in finding one for sale, here's what you'll find as far as price goes. A restored M4 Sherman  ( running ) will sell for about $400,000-$500,000. There are obviously several factors but that's what I've seen.

            Getting a Sherman in another country is easy enough, the problem you have is the actual importation. You can find M-50 Super Shermans in Israel but they have been heavily modified ( mainly turret ) to accommodate the upgraded gun. MVTF picked up a few like this . Yea, the price will be less expensive but you may find yourself back to the $500K mark again after all the work you need to do to switch it back to the WWII config.

            Restoration: If you find one for say, $80K and needs a complete restoration you'll still put about $300K into it ( and there's to many variables to say what exactly this is. Whoever you go with, negotiate the price, don't be a knucklehead and pay someone hourly. It's basically here, restore my tank for $XXX, they either agree to or not. Russ Morgan can do it, Brent Mullins can do it, my crew can do it, there's a few other guys back East that can do it. We would all like to think we are the best but the truth is any one of the guys can give you the restoration you want.

            For ground up you are basically looking at 3-5 years for restoration project ( obviously there are a lot of variables here than can increase/ decrease the restoration time ).

            For finding one totally original, that depends on the tank + parts you come up with.

            I know this isn't too detailed but hopefully it puts in the mind set of what to expect.

            Chad

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3 9:40 AM
              Dave Uhrig's site is a good place to find vehicles.

              Right now,  he has two Sherman's listed.....located in the USA.  (Forget trying to import one, it's virtually impossible.  Plus, they are now selling for the same prices overseas).

              The Shermans listed for sale now are priced at $325,000,  and $465,000, respectively. Given the details of the vehicles listed,  that seems to represent market pricing.  Hope you've got a BIG Trust Fund behind you !

              -Bud

              In a message dated 12/2/2011 3:25:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, masternlover@... writes:

              Hi Guys-
              What is the going price if I wanted a nice clean restored Sherman Tank? It would be used for parades and military events only and kept in a heated warehouse of course.
              I want one that is totally original motor,trans,tracks etc.
              Are any out there?
              Any other countries that have them in stock? Can they be brought back to the U.S.?
              What country would be the best place to look for a nice clean Sherman? Even if I had to restore one.Who is the best person to restore a Sherman Tank in America?
              I hope to find a nice clean piece to own.
              What about the ones they use in movies? many in Kelly' Hero's! LOL!
              Please let me know the price on a Sherman and also the best place to buy one.
              Thanks-
              Tony

            • Logan Hartke
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3 12:53 PM
                That's what I was going to suggest.  Had I the money, I would buy the composite hull Sherman in a heartbeat.  What a fantastic example of a rare wartime Sherman.

                I have armyjeeps.net bookmarked and drool over its offerings regularly.

                Cheers,

                Logan

                On 12/3/2011 12:40 PM, electbud@... wrote:

[...]

              • Michael Canaday
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3 3:26 PM
                  Well,  if I had $500,000 I wanted to blow, I know what I'd buy! http://www.armyjeeps.net/M4-1103/index.htm.

                  I don't know where they got the description and info for the composite.

                  www.armyjeeps.net

                  The M4 was one of the most commonly produced tanks of WWII.  However, this one is rare because it is a composite hull, which means the front is cast and the rear is welded.  As you can see by the pictures.  The tank was produced on 6/1942 at the Chrysler factory in Detroit, MI.  Many people maintain that since there is only approximately 10 of these in existence, it is one of the rarest Sherman’s built, next to the Jumbo Sherman.  We do not have production numbers of this particular tank in that we don’t know that they exist.  This M4 has been completely restored inside and out with all original NOS equipment , it starts good , runs good and looks great. come take a ride .

                  only 10 built? Of all the M4 75mm sub variants built that was the second largest block; 1676 built! Only ALCO built more.

                  Mike Canaday