Re: [G104] M4A3 Vilseck

  • Michael Lembo
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2011
      Sorry, I meant to put #30 in the last message

      From: Joe DeMarco <snick13@...>
      To: G104@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011, 4:02 PM

      Hi Brian.

      Hope you've been well.

      >I don't have photos yet, but I have a description of the M4A3(76) in Vilseck.

      During your visit to Vilseck, do you recall seeing the M4A3(76) that Michael mentioned? Could that be another "new" surviving Sherman? From his description, that seems like it could have been in Europe during WW II.

      A correspondent examined an M4A3(75)W (S/N 49047) at the 1st AD Museum in Baumholder. That one looked like a possible WW II Sherman to me.

      Also, about 10 years ago now, Chaplain Goode posted a couple tiny pix of an M4A3(75)W he saw during a visit to Schweinfort, IIRC. It had a patch on the right front side of the hull. That seemed like another possible WW II combat vet.

      A soldier whose unit is leaving Iraq recently reported he saw a Sherman, possibly a 105, at Camp Virginia (Kuwait). It doesn't seem to be the one in the attached, judging by his written description. So that might be another "new" one? I would assume that any US built WW II AFVs that Allied troops came across in Iraq over the last ten years had been captured from the Iranians during the Iran Iraq War. Iran is stated to have received 3 M4 series 105s. A few years ago, the Patton Museum acquired M4A3(105)HVSS (S/N 72912) from there. A couple overhead shots from a helicopter(?) were posted during the first Gulf War, & quite a few M36 series Tank Destroyers could be seen in some kind of compound. Iran is stated to have received 18 M36 series, so darn near all of them might be in that photo. IIRC, someone there said they were slated to be destroyed along with the more modern AFVs. That may have come about judging by some posted pix of an M36B1 that was in the process of being cut up for scrap. That's a shame, & it would be good if the Sherman at Camp Virginia could be spared such a fate. Iran is also said to have received 42 76mm M4 series & a half dozen retrievers as MDAP, but none of them seemed to have showed up during all of this.

      Joe

      Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:50 PM

      Joe,

        if you guys need info on the Sherman from Buamholder let me know and i;ll dig up the email address for mr Ruhnke who was the museum courrater there.  He is currently in charge of the FY Carson museum

      Brian