Re: [G104] M4A3 in Danish Army Museum "Pansermusee t" in Oksbøl, Denmark

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2011
      Hi Thomas,

      Claus B. has done some magnificent research on the AFVs Denmark got from the US as MDAP. According to the serial numbers he found, all 8 of your Shermans were built as M4A3(105)VVSS. That one is S/N 56808, & would have been accepted in June, 1944. I think what happened is the US had a lot of excess 105s in the inventory, but couldn't use the original 105mm turrets, most likely because they lacked power traverse. 75mm turrets were substituted & some of your Shermans even have old low bustle turrets where it was necessary to cut in a loader's hatch. Anyway, that appears to to be how they were able to come up with some of those M4A3E4s. 76mm & 105mm Shermans used the "tall" gun travel lock such as that one has, whereas 75mms used a shorter one. An upgrade seen on many MDAP Shermans is the improved one piece clamp with handle on the gun travel lock, such as yours has.  Most WW II Shermans used the inferior "two fingers" clamp such as can be seen on the Grafenwohr M4A3(76).

      Joe

      Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:47 PM
      Subject: [G104] M4A3 in Danish Army Museum "Pansermuseet" in Oksbøl, Denmark

      Hi all,

      In the museum (www.pansermuseet.dk) we have this M4A3, one of eight received from US MDAP in 1952. I wonder if this vehicle was build as a M4A3 105mm howitzer? The gun lock is too far below for a gun tank, I think? But the gun lock could also have been moved during the upgrade proces, I guess?

      Regards Thomas Antonsen