Tank at Guardalcanal - History

  • Paul Kerr-Laslett
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2011
      Hi Guys

      I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the Sherman tank (pictures attached) please.  It is sitting in a field west of Honiara in Guardalcanal.  It is a regular tourist site.  Im certain it is a Sherman and have attached some pictures including what I think is a serial number.  Id like to discover its history.

      Kind Regards

      Paul Kerr-Laslett

      From: "Karen Gasser" <aaftank@...>
      Subject: Re: Tank at Guardalcanal - History
      Date: 25 September 2011 12:53:24 AM GMT+11:00
      To: "Paul Kerr-Laslett" <judyandpaul1701@...>

      Dear Sir,

      Thank you for the email and inquiry - We have no historical information on particular tanks - Since this is a Sherman, you may want to contact the Sherman Registry as they may have information that can help you.  You should be able to google Sherman registry for the website.

      Sincerely
      Karen Gasser, Director
      3401 US Hwy 29
      Danville, VA   24540
      434-836-5323
      aaftank@...
      www.aaftankmuseum.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2011
        Hello Paul

        Its indeed a Sherman, a M4A2 I believe. I've seen some pictures on the net with the same text on it, the same Sherman I think. I've got it at coordinates S09 22.301 E159 51.874, could you confirm that location?
        About its history, I haven't got a clue, but one side seems to look like it was a range target or so. On the net is circulating the Jezebel for this Sherman.
        Paul, just one question, can I use you picture on my register. reference to the author will be added of course.

        Michel
        afvregister.org

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2011
          Hello Paul,

          That is an M4A2(75) Sherman made by Fisher Body in 1943. The numbers & letters you photographed on the roof of the turret are the part number of the 75mm turret (D50878), as well as the serial number of that particular turret 3722, with the E suffix indicating it was cast at the General Steel Foundry in Eddystone, Pa. You can see the General Steel castor's logo (G in a shield) on the rear of the turret. Can't quite tell from your photos, but I believe the pistol port is welded up, a practice done for a few months in mid 1943, which would be a clue as to when this tank was accepted. From your pix, you can see that it is dedicated to the members of the US Army 147th Infantry Regiment who fell at the Bonegi River in Feb, 1943. So, in case you were wondering if this tank served during the campaign, it had not even been built at that time. Do you have any more photos of it? There was a tiny front shot of it in in an old "After the Battle" Mag, in which one could see the name "Jezebel" painted on the right front.  I've attached a photo of a similar M4A2 named Jezebel taken during the Namur Campaign, Jan / Feb, 1944. She appears to have been tank no 2-4, C Co, 4th Marine Tank Bn.  It's said that the Marines fought with only Light Tanks on G, so one wonders about how that tank came to be there? Most likely it is a USMC PTO combat veteran, but whether it simply named in honor of Jezebel, or is the real Jezebel would be interesting to try to research....

          Some of us like to record the serial numbers of surviving Shermans, Paul. The armor might be too pitted to read it, but if you would like to try to find the S/N, we could show you where to look.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2011
            Hi Michel

            Yes of course you can use the pictures.  I am away at the moment and will get back to you eventually with more information...