Re: [G104] M4A3E2

  • Chad Lares
    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 9, 2011
      I heard about the dozer Sherman being dug up in NY. As far as the M4A3E2 Assault Sherman, there were 254 built. Of those 254, 250 were sent to Europe. We've accounted for 3 out of the 4 left in the states. This Assault Sherman has unconfirmed reports of it being
      restored from a few different wrecks. This seems fairly consistent with a number of Sherman restorations out there. Our turret number is 111. I've found a photo of another E2 in france of 44' with a turret number of 100 which leads me to believe that this vehicle did see action against the Germans. Also, there is an HE hit on the front of the final drive armor plating. Looks like a glancing blow because the damage pattern is directed left as you're looking head on to the vehicle. That part of the armor is about 5.5 inches thick.

      Chad

      On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Trent Telenko <trent_telenko@...> wrote:

      Sorry, bad notes and worse memory at work here.

      I was referring to the M4A3 with an M2 bulldozer kit attached that was dug up at the Central Islip Psychiatric Hospital.

      The story about that used to be on thewww.aaftankmuseum.com web site.

      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 28, 2011
        This Sherman is getting great care! My brothers at the MVTF will be happy with the results.

        On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM, toadmanstankpictures <toadman@...> wrote:

        Take good care of our baby!

        Chris "toadman" Hughes
        http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com
        MVTF volunteer and offsite events coordinator
        http://www.mvtf.org