Re: Shermans at Grafenwohr Base

  • Tich
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2011
      Hi Joe

      M7B1: Partial RN found: 4015351?

      Did you find that stamped above the differential housing bolt strip?
      I don't find any evidence that any M7B1s were ever assigned USA Numbers in the 401531x range.
      The numbers are filled in with paint, but just a guess that it might be USA 40152515.

      I did indeed find the number above the differential housing bolt strip,
      on http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/48672/2476011140105175483S600x600Q85.jpg you can see the strip in the lower part of the picture.
      I didn't check ny notes, a RN starting with 40153xxx isn't posible for a Priest. If it's indeed RN 40152515 that would be SN 4052 isn' it?

      The M24 you saw, S/N 648, is an October, 1944 production unit, before the
      intro of the flotation adapters.
      That one would have had half a chance of having served overseas during WWII.
      Cadillac stamped the serial number on the glacis right below the bow mg.
      So there would be no doubt, they preceded it with "SERIAL NO." (You can see the "NO" part in your photo.)
      The French seemed to have stamped a "box" around the serial number on many of their tanks, so that one may have passed through their hands at some point?

      It was indeed a French rebuild, there was a plate in front, heavily corroded, with rebuil and Gien on it.

      M7B2 SN 4602 Rebuild by ABS (France), this is a former Bundeswehr vehicle.

      That one also has a "box" around the serial number, Michel.
      Do you think it may have been used by the French at some point?
      Or did they just put a box around the S/N when they were contracted to rebuild?

      I think the French did the box on all the vehicles they rebuild.
      As the Germans recieved the first M7B2 Priests in 1956 I don't believe they where ever used by the French. All exept one or two M7B2's now in France are confirmed ex-German Priests. There seems to be to little time between the upgrade and the delivery to Germany.

      Michel