Re: [G104] Shermans into ploughshares: Madill yarders

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
      >But I had never seen one with CDP track before, clearly a re-used Grizzly
      >or Sexton chassis. Madill being a Canadian firm, one would expect to see
      >more of them.

      I didn't look through the whole thing; were their any with 3-piece diffs
      like the Grizzlies & some early Sextons had?
      There are about 60 M4A2(76)HVSS on display as monuments throughout Canada.
      Most of the ones I've examined don't have engines. One of the Madill
      brochures states one of their models was powered by the GM twin diesel, so
      maybe that was their source? Peter Ford from Saskatoon published a list in
      Army Motors #47 of the 90 M5A1 Stuarts that Canada bought in 1946 for $831
      each. That was an enormous help to the research as it listed the Serial &
      Registration Number of each unit. I've been hoping a similar list of the
      300 M4A2(76)HVSS they bought would come to light. Perhaps Madill bought a
      bunch of those Shermans & has some receipts? The photo of the Mary Ann
      differentials laying around an abandoned logging camp made me want to jump
      into the photo & check the front of them for the tank serial number.

      A friend saw some kind of oil rig contraption on an HVSS chassis while
      driving through Contact, Nev. a few years back.