Re: [G104] Ordnance Serial Number of Lt. Bialecki's Sherman.

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 1, 2011
      Hello Joe pleasure meeting you & thanks for your interest.

      Regarding Serial No.T152523, all I can say is that is what's quoted from volume II pg. 78 of Marek Wronski's book titled Waleczne Skorpiony, Barwa Pulku 4 Pancernego ,,Skorpion''. A notation states that the serial number was confirmed through correspondence with H. L. Spoelstra (sounds familiar) of the Sherman Register in December 1990.

      Unfortunately my uncle did not record the serial number nor talked much about the monument's construction. All I ever heard was that he was directly involved and welded the treads together for the cross and from what I remember of him he was very much a hands on guy & a clever craftsman. Through some translating of Marek Wronski's book I have a learned a little more surrounding the logistics of it's construction. Yes I did visit the monument in May 2010, the first family member to visit in 64 years, it was a moving experience and somewhat haunting. At the time serial numbers were not on my mind but next time I'll be sure to look closer.

      Yes my uncle did have one photo of the construction (see attachment) and many of the ceremonies. I've yet to learn the names of the individuals in the picture though I believe the man on the right (face hidden) might be him, or he took the photo. Have also included the deficiency report with what I think are the painted on War Department numbers, you may recognize one or two! Hope you enjoy and curious what you make of it, seems they were still on a learning curve. Forgot to mention my uncle's name was Michal Krzywoszanski, he held the rank of Lance Sergeant.

      Regards
    • wroblew705
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 6, 2011
        Hey Kevin

        Unfortunatly I've nothing also in my sources regarding T143571. Thanks for that on Ondra.