Re: [G104] New member...hello!

    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 31, 2011
      Hi Chris

      >He returned to Monte Cassino in May 1946 and helped erect the unit's
      >memorial & cross on the hull of Lt. Bialecki's Sherman T145501 Serial No.
      >T152523.

      Some of us like to record the US Ordnance Serial Numbers of surviving
      Shermans. For a second there, I thought maybe you had found it from Lt.
      Bialecki's Sherman III. "T Numbers" were the War Dept Numbers that the
      British assigned to Shermans they received as Lend Lease. T-145501 is what
      can be seen still painted on the left side of that tank. T-152523 was the
      WD Number of another M4A2, which can be see on page 20 of "Polish Shermans
      Vol. 1." Just curious about the reason you listed the second number in
      association with Lt. Bialecki's Sherman? Is there any possibility that your
      great uncle actually recorded the Ordnance Serial Number from the dataplate
      of that tank, & you just wrote down the wrong number above? Most likely
      that M4A2 was accepted in 1942, & the Ord Serial Number would be only 3 or 4
      digits long.

      Did your great uncle take any photos when he returned in 1946?
      Have you ever visited that tank?
      There's a photo of it on page 24 of "Polish Shermans Vol. 1." Can't tell
      for sure due to the small size of the pic, but it looks like it may have had
      rubber tracks, & that the differential may have been salvaged at the time.
      The tracks on the glacis may be obscuring an odd feature seen on a few ALCO
      & Pullman built Shermans. For want of a better term, I call it the "speed
      bump." It's a half round bump that runs horizontally across on the glacis
      plate. I only know of one surviving Sherman that has that, & have attached a
      photo of it.

      >Also from a Royal Armd Corps workshop document I found a list of
      >deficiencies to individual tanks by their number, IE 'Sherman No.' T145501.

      I'd be interested in the T-Numbers listed in that deficiency report, if
      you'd care to share them.
      Most Commonwealth test or deficiency reports simply list the T-Numbers of
      Shermans or other tanks, but sometimes they also list the Ord Serial Number.
      For instance, T-145458 is listed in a Brake Drum Failure Rpt as an M4A2 of
      the 17/21 Lancers, 7/21/44. The Ord Serial Number is given as 9759, which
      provides the info that the tank was made by Pullman Standard in Nov 1942.

      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 6, 2011
        Hey Kevin

        Unfortunatly I've nothing also in my sources regarding T143571. Thanks for that on Ondra.