Re: Sherman "1946"???

  • Joe P
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 9, 2011
      If the War in Germany had been forecast to go into 1946, I would hope internal politics in the Army would have allowed the Sherman production to phase out, and the M-26 replacing it. It is unfortunate that our Country produced the finest technology in Airplane, Ships, Small Arms, the Bomb, and less than the finest Tank.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 9, 2011

        Ø  If the War in Germany had been forecast to go into 1946 . . .

        If the war in Germany had lasted much longer than it did the big memorials on August 6th and 9th every year would be about the atomic bombings of Berlin and Munich . . .

        KL

      • Joe P
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 10, 2011
          agreed

          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Laughlin" <fleeta@...> wrote:

          > Ø If the War in Germany had been forecast to go into 1946 . . .
          >
          > If the war in Germany had lasted much longer than it did the big memorials
          > on August 6th and 9th every year would be about the atomic bombings of
          > Berlin and Munich . . .
          >
          > KL

        • Trent Telenko
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11, 2011
            The logistics of a A-bomb strike on Germany were non-trivial as it required B-29's  in England and they were in China or the Marianas.

            The requirement to move a lot of B-29 to England, assuming a resurgent Germany, also runs into ME-262's.

            Ø  If the War in Germany had been forecast to go into 1946 . . .

            If the war in Germany had lasted much longer than it did the big memorials on August 6th and 9th every year would be about the atomic bombings of Berlin and Munich . . .

            KL

          • mike
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11, 2011
              On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Trent Telenko <trent_telenko@...> wrote:

              > The logistics of a A-bomb strike on Germany were non-trivial as it required B-29's  in England and they were in China or the Marianas.
              >
              > The requirement to move a lot of B-29 to England, assuming a resurgent Germany, also runs into ME-262's.

              Not a real problem, the 509th goes to England, Squadron marked as
              Photo-Recon --Boeing F-13A

              At the Same time, 8thAF continues Box Formations crating large
              portions of German Cities.

              Whatever passes for the Luftwaffe in August, 1945 is likely to be
              distracted by all those B-24&17s dropping real bombs
              and Zemke's Wolfpack flying P-47Ms, not 3 High flying 509th Recon
              Planes doing a run over Berlin.

              The Japanese typically didn't bother with the F-13s doing Photo or
              Weather runs either.

              mike