Re: [G104] Smoke bomb thrower port

  • tankmodeler@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2011
      The 2" bomb thrower was, indeed, initially a British thing, but, once it was incorporated for the British contracts, it was adopted directly for US production. Once in production the hole and the mortar (because this was really the 2" mortar with a breech loading mechanism) could be found on all subsequent turrets. Like the turret pistol port, I do believe it went in and out of production. I'd have to closely reread my Hunnicutt to be sure, but this is what I remember.

      Paul Roberts

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
        The 2" smoke mortar was adopted for US use in 1943 (if I recall correctly). It appeared on the 75mm, 105mm and 76mm turrets. Not long after VE Day there was an Army Technical Bulletin that ordered the removal of the 2" smoke mortar, removal of the ammo box (inside the loader's side of the turret) and the closure of the aperture by welding. All the 76mm turrets on display vehicles in Nebraska have had this done. THe quality of the cloure varied according to the people doing the work. Some are filled and ground so that you can barely tell the aperture was ever there, some are almost crude. That's why you don't see the smoke mortar aperture on tanks that stayed in service after 1945. It's not that it wasn't there, but it was filled in.

        Gary B.
      • IAN HANRATTY
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011
          Hi Paul and Gary

          Many thanks for the info, if it is all right with you both I would like to cut and paste your replies into the question thread on Missing Lynxs braille Scale DG.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011
            OK by me.

            Paul Roberts

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2011