Smoke bomb thrower port

  • IAN HANRATTY
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2011
      hi Group.

      This question "what was this hole for" has been asked on Missing Links Braille Scale disussion group. I beleive the bomb thrower was a British item but was the turret changed just on tanks destined for British service or was the opening manufactered on all turrets, also was this fitting found on US issued tanks.

      Link to the disussion. http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/thread/1295640953/What+is+this+hole+for-

      Also I have just taken over the old Iron Division - HQ72 range of 1/72nd scale Sherman conversions and would like to expand the range. I am currently working on a T6 Prototype, and  while looking at early Sherman turrets I got to wondering if there is any evidence that the Rotor sight turret as per Michael and the 2nd M4A1 prototype where altered to fill in the sight opening and issued on tanks used by the British in the Western Desert, I haved looked at Cricklade the M4A1 of the Wiltshire Yeomanry. (IWM E23451) page 11 of Dennis Oliver,s British Sherman Tanks Concord 7062.The area to the side of the Bren gunner looks built up to me and not as well defined as the sight opening  on the later turret. or am I just seeing things wrongly.

      cheers

      Ian
      Ian Hanratty
      Friendship Models
      12 Delta Drive
      Musselburgh
      East Lothian
      Scotland
      EH21 8HR
      0131 665 0866
      07877 166 225
      friendshipmodels.org.uk.
      http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Friendship-Models

    • tankmodeler@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2011
        The 2" bomb thrower was, indeed, initially a British thing, but, once it was incorporated for the British contracts, it was adopted directly for US production. Once in production the hole and the mortar (because this was really the 2" mortar with a breech loading mechanism) could be found on all subsequent turrets. Like the turret pistol port, I do believe it went in and out of production. I'd have to closely reread my Hunnicutt to be sure, but this is what I remember.

        Paul Roberts

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
          The 2" smoke mortar was adopted for US use in 1943 (if I recall correctly). It appeared on the 75mm, 105mm and 76mm turrets. Not long after VE Day there was an Army Technical Bulletin that ordered the removal of the 2" smoke mortar, removal of the ammo box (inside the loader's side of the turret) and the closure of the aperture by welding. All the 76mm turrets on display vehicles in Nebraska have had this done. THe quality of the cloure varied according to the people doing the work. Some are filled and ground so that you can barely tell the aperture was ever there, some are almost crude. That's why you don't see the smoke mortar aperture on tanks that stayed in service after 1945. It's not that it wasn't there, but it was filled in.

          Gary B.
        • IAN HANRATTY
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011
            Hi Paul and Gary

            Many thanks for the info, if it is all right with you both I would like to cut and paste your replies into the question thread on Missing Lynxs braille Scale DG.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2011
              OK by me.

              Paul Roberts

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2011