Re: Chrysler Multibank

  • Joseph DeMarco
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 21, 1999
      >CHRYSLER MUSEUM IN NORFORK?

      There is a Chrysler Museum of Art in Norfolk, Virginia, same Chrysler,
      (Walter P).

      The Walter P. Chrysler Museum mentioned just opened in Auburn Hills,
      Michigan outside of Detroit.

      BTW, there MIGHT have been a Sherman at the Chrysler Museum of Art in
      Norfolk which MIGHT once have been called the "Museum of Science &
      Industry." They probably sold the Sherman to finance their art acquisitions,
      when they changed their focus. But who knows? Anyone on the list remember
      seeing a Sherman in Norfolk, Virginia?

      Mr Rabuse:
      I've seen the photos of your M4A4 in Thomas Berndt's book, "American Tanks
      Of WW II." The picture of the multibank engine is very interesting. Mr.
      Berndt describes it as "an intriguing feat of engineering" & "a most
      fascinating engine to hear run." I can see why Chrysler is jumping thru all
      those bureaocratic hoops to get one for their museum. Looks like you've done
      a great job restoring your tank and its engine. I'd love to see (and hear)
      that someday. There aren't too many M4A4's left in the world. Thanks for
      the stories.

      Joe DeMarco
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 21, 1999
        Joe, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

        At 21:34 20-10-1999 -0000, you wrote:
        >"...We literally scoured the globe to secure a 30-cylinder engine Chrysler
        built for
        >the Sherman tank used during World War II.

        >We found a spare engine in
        >its original crate in an Argentine military museum. The purchase agreement was
        >finally signed after months and months, and we are now navigating delicate
        >import laws to have it shipped here."

        Back in 1996 Mr Robert Eccles of the Chrysler Technology Center approached
        the Sherman Register for help in finding one of these rare A57 multibank
        engines for their proposed museum. Apart from going over the possibilities
        in Europe and the US, we suggested that he have a good look around in
        Argentina because this country operated a sizeable number of M4A4s (Sherman
        V). Coincidentally, Mr Eccles had some contacts in Argentina as at one time
        he was posted in Argentina by Chrysler. We are glad to hear this search has
        now been ended with positive results.

        >Wonder if there are any more of those engines (or tanks)in Argentina?

        Have a look at the Sherman Register web site at
        http://www.inter.nl.net/users/spoelstra/g104 and click on "Subjects" -
        "Sherman encyclopedia" - "Argentina" for a picture of a Sherman VC (and a
        Sherman IC in the background). Already in the late 1950s the Continental
        radial and Chrysler multibank engines were replaced by what is described as
        a "Continental 10 litres with 12 cylinders in line"(?). In 1979 120 Shermans
        were again re-engined with a French diesel engine.
        Because the Chrysler multibanks were replaced in the 1950s, I think chances
        are slim there are many of them still around (but no doubt a few more might
        turn up somewhere).
        I know of two MV dealers who visited Argentina to look into the
        possibilities of buying some Shermans from the Argentine military. No deals
        were struck because of bureaucracy and the accumulated cost was deemed to
        high to make it feasibly to sell them in Europe.

        >I would hope the museum will have a Sherman among their exhibits ,since
        Chrysler built a lot of them.

        The prototype M4(105) (with a composite hull) - built by Chrysler - is on
        display at Fort Wayne, Detroit.

        - Hanno
      • Gavin Phillips
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 1999
          My name is Gavin Phillips, I am a Military Vehicle enthusiast. About eight
          years ago I saw the Kellys Heros world war two movie and I've been
          fascinated by the armoured vehicles of that period ever since. I've been
          trying to find out where there is any existing Sherman tanks in England (any
          models) but no such luck so far. Maybe you could help?

        • AMPSOne@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 1999
            Gavin,

            There are quite a few at the Tank Museum in Bovington, and others are to be
            found in places such as IWM Duxford and the Cobbaton Combat Collection in
            North Devon.

            Cookie Sewell
            AMPS
          • tankfreak1
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 29, 2003
              hi geoff i just read your message about the chrysler multibank im
              doin the same job now as u for the brussels tankmuseum and i was
              wondering if u have any pictures of your restauration it would be
              realy helpfull greetings fons

            • bill testaert
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2003
                --- tankfreak1 <tankfreak1@...> wrote:
                > hi geoff i just read your message about the chrysler
                > multibank im
                > doin the same job now as u for the brussels
                > tankmuseum and i was
                > wondering if u have any pictures of your
                > restauration it would be
                > realy helpfull greetings fons
                >
                > --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Grant Rabuse
                > <grantr@... wrote:
                > > Hello
                > > I purchase an M4A4 Sherman in 1991 from
                > Argentina. I have
                > been
                > > restoring this vehicle for the last 6 years and am
                > fortunate to
                > have a
                > > running engine for it. I am always interested in
                > obtaining a spare
                > > engine or other parts or manuels. I also get great
                > joy in hearing
                > from
                > > people who have experience with this engine and
                > vehicle.
                > > I truly understand the nightmare Chrysler is
                > going through
                > to bring
                > > back this engine. I am aware of at least 12 other
                > M4A4 that are
                > still in
                > > the Argentina army. Back in the early 90's I was
                > working with
                > another
                > > individual trying to bring back some of these
                > vehicles from the
                > > Argentina government, unfortunately the cost and
                > bureaucracy was to
                > > great to make this possible.
                > > The story behind my M4A4 is as follows. The tank
                > was built
                > by Chrysler
                > > in 1943, the tank was shipped to a British unit
                > and sent to North
                > > Africa. From what I was told in about 1948 Africa
                > was in a drought
                > and
                > > need grain. Argentina traded grain for many M4A4
                > tanks and other
                > > equipment. At some point my tank was sold to a
                > scrape dealer and
                > > fortunately was put into a warehouse for many
                > years. As stated
                > above I
                > > purchased this vehicle from the Argentina scrap
                > dealer in 1991 and
                > had
                > > it shipped to Minnesota. The tank is in remarkable
                > excellent
                > shape.
                > >
                > > Sincerely
                > > Grant W. Rabuse

                Close after the end of the war the argentinian
                governement bought a lot of fireflies from a belgian
                scrap dealer who obtained them from the brits.
                The belgian army looked to obtain tanks asap and the
                security services found about this illegal trade since
                these shermans fell under the american program of
                military aid to the brits,the brits selling something
                to a civilian wich they did not own!
                The army told the scrap dealer about his illegal
                doings and proposed a gentlemen's agreement:or to go
                in jail or to pose a patriotic gesture and donate for
                1 symbolic franc all is tanks in stock!
                In 1948 the second Lancers regiment was reformed at
                Leopoldsburg with Fireflies and Humbers MK 2
                so the argentine tanks(a lot of them)actually come
                from belgium and pictures are in existence to prove
                this.
                Tankergreeting ,Bill Testaert

                > > From: Geoff Winnington-Ball <whiskey@n...>
                > >
                > > snick@c... wrote:
                > >
                > > > "... We found a spare engine in its original
                > crate in an
                > Argentine military
                > > museum. The purchase agreement was finally signed
                > after months and
                > > months, and we are now navigating delicate import
                > laws to have it
                > > shipped here."
                > > >
                > > > Wonder if there are any more of those engines
                > (or tanks)in
                > Argentina?
                > >
                > > I'd like one too please, just to have... :-)
                > >
                > > --
                > > Regards,
                > >
                > > Geoff Winnington-Ball
                > > MAPLE LEAF UP! ==>
                > > Zephyr, Ontario, Canada
                > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > > Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2
                > > http://www.netwave.ca/~whiskey/mlu/
                > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                > > (subscribe at
                > http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/G104)

                *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
                > gentlemen,a lot of the fireflies from the argentinan
                army actually come from belgium and were sold to them
                by a belgian scrap dealer who obtained them from the
                brits. Belgian army wanted to obtain tanks asap and
                the security services found out about this illegal
                trade since the shermans fell under the american
                military aid to the brits,who sold something to a
                belgian civilian something they did not owned.
                Belgian army proposed a gentlemens agreement to the
                dealer:or he went to jail or he posed a patiotic
                gesture by selling the tanks for 1 symbolic franc to
                the army! so he did and in 1948 the second lancers
                tank regiment was reformed at Leopoldsburg with
                fireflies an humber MK2 scout-cars
                so a lot of argentinian fireflies come from belgium
                and there are pictures to prove this
                tankergreetings
                bill testaert

                http://platinum.yahoo.com