M4A3 in Peru

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2011
      All,

      See
      http://www.alide.com.br/joomla/index.php/component/content/article/34-ed33/4
      5-museusperu and scroll down to see pitures of an M4A3 preserved at Museo
      Histórico Militar Real Felipe, Callao, Peru.

    • Pierre-Olivier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2011
        Hanno,

        indeed there are two different M4A3s displayed there :
        # EP 150, without appliqué armour
        # EP 161, with appliqué armour.

        http://www.alide.com.br/joomla/index.php/component/content/article/34-ed\
        33/45-museusperu
        <http://www.alide.com.br/joomla/index.php/component/content/article/34-e\
        d33/45-museusperu>

        Pierre-Olivier

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2011
          A few years back, a fellow in Peru said he would try to get the data from
          those Shermans & Stuarts...
          The particular type of hull lifting rings would indicate both tanks were
          originally accepted at Ford on or before Jan, 1943. As with most surviving
          Shermans, they appear to have had a hodge podge of wartime & postwar
          upgrades. You can see where infantry phones had been installed on the right
          rear. The way the bullet splash on the front engine deck panels has been cut
          away suggests they once had the torsion bar hinges for the engine deck
          doors. EP 161 was probably rebuilt once during WW II & again by Bowen
          McLaughlin York in the early 1950s. EP 150 looks closer to as built, so
          maybe just one rebuild in the 50s. P-O, the Ford M4A3 you photo'd in the lot
          at Saumur is the most intriquing surviving example. That one "says" US Army
          WW II combat veteran tank to me.