Re: [G104] Re: New Sherman in the US

  • dlevydo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2010
      That looks like the one. They said the mantlet was "tack welded" on when it
      arrived, maybe that explains the rope around the mantel in the picture.

      The turret ring gear has also been cut out so the turret is just sitting on
      the hull.

      Do you know more about this tank? Where is that picture from / how old?

      -Dave

      In a message dated 11/12/2010 1:04:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      soldat_ryan@... writes:

      Hello,

      could it be this Sherman ? :

      _http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register\
      /Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg_
      (http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg)
      <_http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-registe\
      r/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg_
      (http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg) >

      Pierre-Olivier

      > Hi,
      >
      > An M4A3E8 was brought in to the port of Newark last Thursday from the
      > Netherlands. It was brought in by the Kadish Museum of American Armor.
      I went
      > over and saw it today. It is Chrysler built, but I could only make
      out a 7
      > in SN on the tow lug. Has the original GAA and runs under its own
      power.

    • Dan Jahn
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2010
        Is that the correct turret for that undercarriage?

        That looks like the one. They said the mantlet was "tack welded" on when it
        arrived, maybe that explains the rope around the mantel in the picture.

        The turret ring gear has also been cut out so the turret is just sitting on
        the hull.

        Do you know more about this tank? Where is that picture from / how old?

        -Dave

        In a message dated 11/12/2010 1:04:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        soldat_ryan@... <mailto:soldat_ryan%40hotmail.com> writes:

        Hello,

        could it be this Sherman ? :

        _http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register\ <http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg_>
        <_http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-registe\ <http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg_>
        r/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg_
        (http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/panzerpanther5/NL-AFV-register/Sherman%20tank/M4A3Sherman_01.jpg) >

        Pierre-Olivier

        > Hi,
        >
        > An M4A3E8 was brought in to the port of Newark last Thursday from the
        > Netherlands. It was brought in by the Kadish Museum of American Armor.
        I went
        > over and saw it today. It is Chrysler built, but I could only make
        out a 7
        > in SN on the tow lug. Has the original GAA and runs under its own
        power.

      • Tich
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2010
          Hi

          That M4A3E8 was for a short time in the possesion of the Dutch reenactement groep Aces. Some history of it
          http://www.preservinghistory.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Asherman-easy-8&catid=14&Itemid=86

          Michel
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2010
            Hi Dave,

            This is a converted M74 TRV. It used to be part of the collection of the
            Museum Park Wings of Liberation at Best, the Netherlands:
            http://ic2.pbase.com/o6/57/50857/1/85775817.cmnTiYCd.DSCF3040.JPG

            It was acquired by a group of re enactors who decided to turn it into a gun
            tank. The turret is not correct for this type of hull and the upper deck is
            sheet metal.

            Hope this helps,
            Hanno

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 12, 2010
              Hi Dave

              Thanks for the heads up about that. A while back Pierre-Olivier had asked if
              that could be an example of one of the Fisher built M4A3(75)HVSS's. From his
              pix, I thought it looked like a Chrysler, since it has the type of sprockets
              they used. I saw the additional fittings at the bottom of the diff, but
              didn't make the M74 connection. In retrospect, you can see that the lifting
              rings on the glacis were moved lower so as not to interfere with the M74's
              boom. Also, when they did the M74 conversion, I think Bowen McLaughlin York
              replaced the original periscope guard with the particular type that one has
              on the driver's hatch.

              >It is Chrysler built, but I could only make out a 7 in SN on the tow lug.

              M74s were mostly converted from late production M4A3(105)HVSSs, & a few have
              been noted to have very high serial numbers in the 7xxxx range, Dave. Period
              photos suggest that they simply kept their original M4A3(105) USA Reg.
              Numbers.

              Anyway, mystery solved. I don't believe that any M4A3(75)HVSS's have
              survived as such, because most or all were converted to M4A3(76)HVSS for the
              postwar Army.

              >Is that the correct turret for that undercarriage?

              If you assume that the people who "converted" that back to a gun tank were
              going for M4A3(75)HVSS, you might think that a low bustle turret would be
              inappropriate, but Fisher did use some older turrets left over from the M32
              program on some of those. In many cases it was necessary to cut in the oval
              loader's hatch on the recycled turrets, & from P-O's pix, that one appears
              to have that. On page 330 of Hunnicutt's "Sherman," there is a photo of a
              long line of M4A3(75)HVSS's at the Manila Ord Depot, Aug, 1945. One low
              bustle turret is clearly visible & the ones with the armor patch on the
              turret would be other examples of the recycled jobs. AFAIK, no one has come
              up with a photo of an M4A3(75)HVSS in combat during WW II.

              I'd be curious to see the top of the turret & the casting marks, etc. By any
              chance did you take any pix like that, Dave?
              Due to absurd restrictive laws, it's rare to have a US built AFV imported
              back into the States.

            • dlevydo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 12, 2010
                Hi Joe,

                I knew you and the rest of the group would be able to quickly and
                accurately identify this tank. I will go back over and take some more picts for
                you. Anything else in particular you would like to see?

                >Due to absurd restrictive laws, it's rare to have a US built AFV imported
                back into the States.

                Apparently there was very significant political support to get this tank in
                by Veterans Day.

                -Dave

              • xstuff@juno.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 15, 2010
                  Hi Dave and Joe, My guess since this vehicle was a recovery vehicle on paper it came in as a wrecker and not as a tank. I do not believe there is any wrecker import bans in place at this time. Tom ---------- Original Message ----------
                  From: dlevydo@...
                  To: G104@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [G104] New Sherman in the US
                  Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:14:32 EST