Re: [G104] M4 transmission/hull attachment point

  • dlevydo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2010
      Hi,
      I do not know if you got your pictures yet, but I can send you some of an
      M4A3 hull and differential housing / transmission.
      -Dave

      In a message dated 3/29/2010 12:09:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gerryc15@... writes:

      Hello everyone:

      Are there any good side view photos of where the transmission housing
      attaches to the hull on a M4 or M4A1? Thanks!

    • Adrian Harris
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2010
        I'm detailing some idler parts for a 1/6th Sherman project and wondered if anyone can confirm if I have the idler adjustment right ?

        My understanding is that the lower portion of the idler bracket is split, with three bolts acting to clamp the two parts of the bracket together, to keep the shaft from rotating.

        To change the idler position, and hence track tension, you loosen the three bolts in the idler bracket, lift the spring catch from the top of the plate which locates on the splined end of the idler shaft and slide the plate off to release the idler shaft.

        You then use the huge ring spanner, acting on the hexagonal portion at the end of the idler shaft, to rotate the idler shaft to the required position.

        Next slide the plate back over the splined portion of the shaft to temporarily hold it in that position, then tighten the three bolts in the idler bracket to clamp the shaft in the new postion.

        Is this correct ?

        What I don't understand is that, in a lot of the M4's that I've seen in museums, the three bolts in the idler bracket are rarely done up tightly against the bracket itself, which seems to imply that the whole track tension is being retained by just the splines on the end of the idler shaft ?

        On the Saumur M4A2, the plate that fits over the splined section is missing entirely from one idler, as is one of the bolts due to damage to the corner of the bracket. Heaven only knows how they adjust the tension on that track !

        Adrian.

      • pltkitson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2010
          The middle bolt is used to spread the clamping bracket to make the
          adjustment. The outside two are to clamp the bracket tight after adjustment.

        • Michael Canaday
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2010
            Your description is basically correct. Except that only the two outer bolts
            are clamping bolts. The center one is actually the spreader and will always
            be protruding. You actually use the spreader screw to open the bracket up to
            release the spindle. There is a cotter pin in the spindle to keep the collar
            from coming all the way off the spindle, only allowing it to move off the
            splines.

            I uploaded a slide show in
            "Files<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/G104/files/>> Misc" to show the
            sequence.

            Mike Canaday

          • TANKBARRELL@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
              Excellent graphic Mike! One small point, the centre spreader screw is a
              left hand thread.

              Adrian Barrell

            • Michael Canaday
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2010
                Adrian,

                Thanks, I didn't catch that on the drawings for the bracket or the screw.
                That is a very good design feature, that way all the troops had to do was
                "loosen" all three, and the spindle would be freed. Vise versa for
                "tightening".

                Mike Canaday

              • Adrian Harris
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7, 2010
                  Thanks for the clarification guys :-)

                  Interesting to know the middle ones were left-handed - mine won't have a thread anyways so that isn't a problem but it is a good example of lateral thinking on the part of the designers.

                  Oh, and I'll make sure my middle bolts are proud.

                  Adrian.

                • karl van sweden

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 19, 2010
                      See
                      http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/sherman/unspecified/1024610.html
                      for a Hemmings Motor News Sherman classified listing

                      "Seller Notes:
                      GMC 1944 Sherman tank, M4A2E8, good running 6-71 Detroit diesels, clean,
                      very complete, rubber track, offered at $315,000; serious inquiries only,
                      video available. Email: victorypub@... $315,000 "

                      No connections to the seller, listed for reference only.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 19, 2010
                        That should be 1945 for the production date.
                        Amazing prices for Shermans these days!

                        Ex Ft Snelling Museum?