Re: M4A3 75 W data plate

  • PIERRE
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 19, 2010
      Thank you Joe and Don

      to reply at your question I find a M4A3 75mm turret in good condition but without gun and mounting (a detail)

      It is so difficult to find some M4A3 75w Owner in europe
      they are only 2 M4A3 75w in Belgium (Bastogne as monument and Target range in Antwerp )

      Was the majority of the M4a375w modified in M4A3E4 and M4A3 76w and send to Japan for the Korean War?

      Thanks again

      Pierre

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
        Hi Pierre & Don,

        >they are only 2 M4A3 75w in Belgium

        IIRC, Andre Flener crawled inside the one on display in Bastogne, but the
        dataplate was either unreadable or absent. A SC photog took pix of SN 49709
        that is now on display in Phalsbourg. The pix were taken about a week apart
        & you can see how the Ordnance guys came along & stripped usable parts from
        it. Time would have stood still the moment that tank died, so there's a
        small chance it might still have its original dataplate, although I suspect
        it would be RUBAR, like the one Don photo'd from Cobra King.

        Some of the cottage industry repro dataplates look pretty good, while others
        are really cheesy. I think it would be worthwhile to compile photos of
        original dataplates from all the types & all the companies that made
        Shermans, but doubt it would even be possible after all these years. The
        best chance would probably be from Shermans in Europe. For instance, I was
        thinking the Sherman III DD at Bovington might still have an original
        Pullman plate in there.

        It would appear that most of the US inventory of M4A3(75)W with VVSS were
        converted to M4A3E4 for the MDAP program. The postwar US Army wanted
        Shermans with Ford V8s, 76mm guns & HVSS. Consequently, almost the entire
        production of M4A3(75)HVSS had the turrets replaced with 76mms. I don't
        think there is a single surviving example of an as built M4A3(75)HVSS
        because of that.

        Just curious, was there anything suggesting that your tank had that
        "Transformee" thing done to it?

        to reply at your question I find a M4A3 75mm turret in good condition but
        without gun and mounting (a detail)

        It is so difficult to find some M4A3 75w Owner in europe
        they are only 2 M4A3 75w in Belgium (Bastogne as monument and Target range
        in Antwerp )

        Was the majority of the M4a375w modified in M4A3E4 and M4A3 76w and send
        to Japan for the Korean War?

        Thanks again

        Pierre

        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Don Moriarty <donmor3@...> wrote:

        > Joe
        > I have been checkig thru my digital files for the data plate image. I
        > thought I had a photo of an M4A3(75), but it turned out to be one of the
        > M4A3(76)'s. I will check on 'Blockbuster' in the next few days, on my
        > next visit to the museum.
        > Regards
        > Don

      • Don Moriarty
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010

          I have just returned from a day at the museum.  I was able to get some decent photos of 'Blockbusters' data plate.

          Primary (Large) Data Plate: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Donmor3/M4A375LargeDataPlate.jpg

          Secondary (Small) Data Plate:
          http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f25/Donmor3/M4A375SmallDataPlate.jpg

          Hope this helps.

          Regards
          Don

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
            Hi Don,

            That's a generic dataplate, not the original, but it looks good. The thing I
            like about "Blockbuster" is that it looks pretty close to "WW II." However,
            checking some pix, I now see it was retrofitted with those trackholders on
            the turret, which is kind of a clue to postwar rebuild. They wanted to add
            an infantry phone, so they got rid of the original trackholders on the
            upper rear hull plate, & put the spare tracks on the turret. Like Cobra
            King, that wouldn't have been in Europe, say, with that sheet metal cover
            between the drivers hoods. It also got retrofitted with those easy open
            handles for the engine deck doors. Probably had the engine replaced at some
            point. Anyway, it would be necessary to identify the inspector "KKG" to
            figure out where & when the tank got rebuilt & a new dataplate. No doubt
            Cobra King's dataplate is original, but unfortunately unreadable. Pierre's
            tank would have had the same plate just different weight & TMs. You found an
            "A" stamped in the lower right. FWIW, one of the inspectors at Fisher was
            "ABQ." I believe an original M4A3(75)W or Jumbo plate would also have had a
            "4" stamped in the lower left for 1944.

            I like that Pressed Steel Car plate on the Jumbo's turret, Don. Was thinking
            the other guys might like to add that to theirs if they don't already have
            it.

            Thanks for checking "Blockbuster"!

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010

              I assumed 'Blockbusters' data plate was an original since it says 'Manufactured' & not 'Re-Manufactured' like the data plate in the 'LST Jumbo'.   But I am a novice in this arena, so I am learning as I go.  BTW The stamped initials on the lower right is 'WKG'.

              It appears to be made of brass, with the lettering stamped or molded which is similiar to the data plate of the M3A3.  'CK's data plate was some sort of tin, which didn't fair well to 'father time' and the elements, so it is difficult to see much, with most of the information printed and not stamped.  Unfortunately, the date stamp on the lower left is eaten away with corrosion of the data plate.

               It (CK's) is similiar (made of tin) to the 'LST Jumbo' and also the M4A3E8 data plate I found in 'Thunderbolt VI', located at the Ft Knox Post Exchange.

              The 'Pressed Steel Car' plate was in the turret of the 'LST Jumbo' which as we know is the 'OSF' turret.

              Just a few observations

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                Pierre, Joe and Don,

                I have enjoyed this thread. Thanks for the effort to save and clear up the
                history. Unfortunately, our M4A3E9 has had the data plates removed..If
                anyone ever finds a source for replacements, please let us know.

                We are also looking for any of the generators mounted on the angle drives.
                Most M4A3 Shermans I have been able to get into the engine compartment on
                have had the generator on the driveshaft. Thanks for any leads. Russ
                Morgan M4A3E9 #11965

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                  Boeing advertising lots……I remember the wedding in Ft.C….did Kathy not like
                  a gay guy? Gay guys don’t want much sex and are good dressers and home
                  decorator??????????????R

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 22, 2010
                    Thanks to All

                    and nice pictures

                    My M4A3 was in the french army and do not receive the modifications for the 76mm . The ammo case are still for the 75mm wet (vertical)and the both armored plates behind the driver and the co driver are still in place .The interior for a 75mm or 76mm are very different.

                    nice challenge to collect all the Sherman's data plate !!

                    thanks again for the job and the pictures

                    Pierre