British M4A2

  • astursimmer
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2009
      Hi all,

      I have recently found a quite cheap tasca M4A2 (ref 35017, Sherman III with DV and early VVSS), and I would like to make it in one of those interesting british camouflages used at El Alamein or shortly after.

      I would like to make an accurate model regarding the key features, some of them are clear and in others perhaps some of you could point me please in the right direction:
      - Manufacturer? can be Alco, Fisher or Pullman, but Alco is almost discarded for this timeframe, they started production in september 42.
      - Turret manufacturer? I love the casting symbols....
      - Glacis plate, pieces and weldings distribution? The kit looks like a M4-Baldwin (exactly like the Overloon one) and not a M4A2, the MG housing is a welded tube. Should it be a casting?. I think such an early M4A2 should have a 6 or 7 pieces multi-plate glacis, and of course not a single-plate like later ones.
      - Transmission cover: I like the old-fashioned three piece version, but in many pics (from unclear periods usually) it is seen also the cast one. Or it depends on the manufacturer?.
      - Suspension: the kit comes with the early version with small upper track skid, not with the initial (tasca term) M3-style. perhaps that is the biggest problem, or the provided version is acceptable?
      - The "air intakes" (sorry donĀ“t know the precise term for this) located on both sides of the engine deck, with bubble shape. The kit provides actually no intakes but just plates. I think this is correct for a M4A2 but many later M4A2 on displays in France show the cast intakes. Are both correct? for the timeframe?.
      - The kit does not provide the lowest sheet metal shrouds for the muffler. Is this a later feature?
      I also love the production story, specially regarding serial numbers, contracts, batches, etc, as a background information.
      I think thats all for now. I am really grafeful if anyone can provide some of so many details.
      Thanks to everybody in advance.
      Regards
      NAcho Roces