The Sherman Serial Numbers database

  • Pierre-Olivier
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
      http://the.shadock.free.fr/Sherman_SN.xls

      hello,

      here is a document gathering all the Sherman + variants Serial Numbers that I was able to find. This document indicates the SN, model and location.
      The list summarizes the information provided in various documents :
      The USA, Canada, Belgium, and France AFVs registers, the website www.afvregister.org, Hanno Spoelstra's "Table of known serial numbers".

      This document shows few SNs which are obviously wrong, but it also shows interesting SN sequencies.

      Any feedback, correction and/or addition is the most welcome.

      Pierre-Olivier
    • dlevydo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
        Hi Pierre,

        Here is one that you can add from the Netherlands.

        Sherman M4A4
        SN 21196
        Location
        : The Arnhem War Museum 40-45 next to the entrance of Park Hoge Veluwe at
        Arnhem - Schaarsbergen. (The museum covers the entire period of World War
        II from the years of occupation, to the Battle of Arnhem and ending with the
        liberation in 1945.)

        I have attached picts, they will probably be stripped from the group email,
        but you should get them directly.

        Have you thought about adding the M36 series of tank destroyers to your
        list, some are based on Sherman hulls and have many of the same parts.

        Thanks for all of your work on this.

        Regards,
        Dave

        _http://the.shadock.http://the.shadohttp:/_

        www.afvregister.The USA, Canada, Belgium, and France AFVs registers, th

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
          Hi P-O:

          A noble task, I assure you.

          One thing I would do is segregate the non-tank and non-M4 vehicles from the
          list as they were in separate serial number series. You should be able to
          put them as separate Excel tabs in the same file.

          Are you interested in historical data or merely survivors? For example, the
          serial and registration ranges of the M4A4s have been identified, but
          obviously not all have survived. There are also various historical
          photographs that have useful data, for example:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=270477074429

          Good job!

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
            Kurt,

            well, I would be interested in getting every material that would allow to complete this Excel file.
            For example, I'm looking for data that could allow to identify the manufacturer of the tank from the SN. I'm sure you have such data.
            A way to know what is the real RN when you have the SN would also help a lot.
            For the moment, I put all the non-M4 vehicles in a single tab, but there are few SNs for these vehicles for the moment. As (if) the number of known SN for non-M4 vehicles grows up, it would be interesting to seperate the different vehicles in different tables.

            best,

            Pierre-Olivier

            --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Laughlin" <fleeta@...> wrote:

            > Hi P-O:
            >
            > A noble task, I assure you.
            >
            > One thing I would do is segregate the non-tank and non-M4 vehicles from the
            > list as they were in separate serial number series. You should be able to
            > put them as separate Excel tabs in the same file.
            >
            > Are you interested in historical data or merely survivors? For example, the
            > serial and registration ranges of the M4A4s have been identified, but
            > obviously not all have survived. There are also various historical
            > photographs that have useful data, for example:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=270477074429
            >
            > Good job!
            > KL
          • tanksintown
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2009
              Information on our Sherman
              Type Grizly
              MFD Montreal Locomotive Works
              Chassis number: 6
              DNS number : T-160199
              Actual nickname O st Georges
              Location : Mons Belgium
            • Pierre-Olivier
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
                Hello,

                an updated version of the database is available at
                http://the.shadock.free.fr/Sherman_SN.xls
                In red, you will find all the SNs that seems suspect/wrong to me.
                I also added manufacturers and RNs, I hope that everything is correct. There could be some mistakes, as this is a complicated subject.

                Pierre,

                thanks for the information regarding your Grizzly.

                best,

                Pierre-Olivier