Sherman - 3 Piece Bolted Nose Versus One Piece Nose

  • ronlapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
      I notice that some Shermans have a three piece bolted nose, while
      others have a one piece cast nose. I am presuming that the one piece
      nose was developed later on in the war and was a preferred design to
      the three piece nose.

      Can someone provide some background information concerning the
      differences in the 3 piece and one piece nose?

      Thanks.

      Ron
    • Dirk Lombard
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2009
        IIRC the 3 piece transmission cover provided a convenient shot trap - where
        as the 1 piece transmission cover was better at deflecting incoming AT
        rounds ( if this did happen ... )

        3 piece - bolted
        1 piece - cast

        2009/3/3 ronlapp <ronlapp@...>

        > I notice that some Shermans have a three piece bolted nose, while
        > others have a one piece cast nose. I am presuming that the one piece
        > nose was developed later on in the war and was a preferred design to
        > the three piece nose.
        >
        > Can someone provide some background information concerning the
        > differences in the 3 piece and one piece nose?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Ron

      • ronlapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2009
          Dirk,

          Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

          Ron

          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, Dirk Lombard <dirk.lombard@...> wrote:

          > IIRC the 3 piece transmission cover provided a convenient shot trap - where
          > as the 1 piece transmission cover was better at deflecting incoming AT
          > rounds ( if this did happen ... )
          >
          > 3 piece - bolted
          > 1 piece - cast
          >

          > 2009/3/3 ronlapp <ronlapp@...>
          >
          > > I notice that some Shermans have a three piece bolted nose, while
          > > others have a one piece cast nose. I am presuming that the one piece
          > > nose was developed later on in the war and was a preferred design to
          > > the three piece nose.
          > >
          > > Can someone provide some background information concerning the
          > > differences in the 3 piece and one piece nose?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Ron

        • heller1959
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
            Hi
            I read somewhere that the multipart transmission was also prone to misalignement - with bad results on the transmission itself and its train of gears.
            HTH