Re: Question re: Sherman Model Turrets - Korea

  • binder5295
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2008
      1) Turrets - as stated before, there was NO "T44" turret. It's just
      another T23 turret that is mislabelled.

      M4A3E8s in Korea could have any sub-variant of the 76mm turret. The
      later ones with the oval loader's hatch are by far the most common.
      Most76mm turrets in Korea seem to have the canvas dust cover fitted, or
      at least the brackets for them, where this feature was rare on
      WW2 "Easy Eights".

      2) Tracks - any tracks are OK. The T80 steel chevron are the most
      common in photos, but the others were there as well.

      As you may have heard, there are millions of great photos from LIFE
      magazine now on Google. The WW2 stuff is good, but the Korean War
      material is also wonderful. Many new shots that haven't been seen
      before. There is a sequence of the 72nd Tank Battalion right after
      unloading from the ships in Korea, the unit came as part of the 2nd
      Infantry Division. One shot shows three M4A3E8s, the lead one has T80
      track, the second has T84 rubber chevron and hte third has T66 steel
      track. Among the photos is a group of M4A3E8s in line with an M4A3
      76mm Wet Stowage with VVSS tracks and an M1 dozer kit. Another shows
      one of the unit's M32B3s with the tanks.

      In regard to models if your kits are the older M4A3E8s by Dragon (as
      opposed to the more recent "Thunderbolt VII" kit) then there are turret
      shape issues. Otherwise the newer tanks from Academy and Dragon have
      plastic 76mm turrets that are likely superior to the old Verlinden
      offering.

      Gary B.
    • Lawrence Godson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2008
        --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Chow" <roy.chow@...> wrote:

        > Hey Paul:
        >
        > You wrote:
        > main difference is the canvas mantlet cover, no? Although rare, some
        WW2
        > era pics show this feature.

        I'm wondering if you or anyone else can steer me to one of those WWII
        E8 photos with the canvas cover fitted to the mantlet.
        Thanks
        Lawrence Godson
      • alby502
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2008
          All,

          Thank you for th einfo on the Korean War Dragon Sherman and hte "T44"
          turret.

          Happy holidays,

          Paul

          --- In G104@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Chow" <roy.chow@...> wrote:

          > Hey Paul:
          >
          > You wrote: "In my buying frenzy I picked up a Verlinden turret w/
          > a 76mm gun which the Ampersand book on the Sherman says it's for a
          > Korean War Sherman. Will this then work better for Dragon's Korean
          War
          > Easy 8 kit? I have a couple of Dragon Easy 8 kits and with a quick
          scan
          > of the contents cannot find too many differences between the WW2
          tank
          > and Korean War one. For the Korean War kit are we just talking about
          > the exterior differences such as brackets, etc?
          >
          > I also have a Legend turret labeled as a T-44 type turret. It looks
          > like a T-23 turret with different hatches. Where can I use this
          turret?
          > I cannot find references on this."
          >
          > If I can add to what Karl wrote, the VP T23 turret was released at
          a time
          > when no other plastic kit makers had a suitable turret. If you
          find the kit
          > to have finer details than the DML kit, then you can use it. If
          not, don't
          > feel compelled to replace the DML T23 turrets. From memory, I
          think the
          > main difference is the canvas mantlet cover, no? Although rare,
          some WW2
          > era pics show this feature.
          >
          > As for the "T-44" label that Legend uses -- it's fabrication (or a
          serious
          > mistake) on their part. It's a normal T-23 turret. Best of luck
          to you

        • binder5295
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2008
            > I'm wondering if you or anyone else can steer me to one of those WWII
            > E8 photos with the canvas cover fitted to the mantlet.Thanks Lawrence
            Godson>

            I don't have the URLs but there have been a photo or two of them on
            Missing Links' Allied discussion group. Quite rare, but there were a
            few deployed with mantlet dust covers.

            Gary